The most sacred thing is a child's innocence;
his trust the most inviolate.
~ KN

winn's window / koreen photography

My photo
I'm a hobbyist photographer, a school counselor, a health junkie, and a mom. But above all, I'm just a woman living my truth. My biggest happiness in life is to savour each moment while it happens. That's all. That's everything.

Tuesday, November 24, 2009

The Great Experiment Interview

I was blog-surfing one day (trust me, this phrase will catch on) when I found The Great Interview Experiment on Neil's blog: Citizen of the Month. I was intrigued, and pulled in despite my cynicism about, well, everything. It seemed like a fun experiment. And I had the time. Or so I thought. I have to apologize for the long time it's taken me to put this post up. An unexpected roof job and possibility of selling the house and getting a house that would fit us better kind of took over my life, and before I knew it, I lost my will to blog.

I got my butt in gear, however, and finally got this finished (when the guilt became too much for me).

I was honored to interview Deb (aka JanePoet) of JanePoet - la poesie sur une mission. She writes about, well, writing. I admit that as much as I love to read, she is miles and lightyears beyond me... I can't grasp the depth of her ability and love of words. All I could do was bask in the waves of thought that poured over me as I read her posts.

And then I tried to sound like I knew what I was doing as I began asking my questions...


When did you start writing?

I started writing when I was 13. I fell in love with poetry in the eighth grade and had a wonderful teacher who encouraged my creative writing. I did a lot of writing throughout college and then put it on the back burner for many years … when going through some changes in life back in 2006, I started my first blog and began writing poetry again. Over the last three years writing has once again become a vital part of my life.


Do you prefer poetry or prose?

I enjoy both forms. Prose is a more straightforward way to communicate. I employ both in my blog.

Prose is a way to set the scene:
I drove through the forest, with mossy trees and a mountain river cutting a path as we traveled downward in elevation.

On the other hand, with poetry you can take that same scene and add in emotion, metaphors, and subtext. For example:

Between mossy and primordial
A path was carved
Emptying downward
She was bottle green and melting tears



Have you written your first novel yet? Or if not, are you planning to? What will it be about?

I started a novel back in 2006 and got through the first 15 chapters; I’m not sure if it is something that will ever be finished or ready for publication – it was, however, a good exercise and encouraged me in my ability to write a piece of fiction. I am planning on writing more fiction, but at this point I cannot say what the theme or storyline will be.


Who's your favorite author?

My favorite author is Ernest Hemingway. I love the fact that he truly honed his craft and was intense and focused on becoming a writer. He learned from some of the literary greats while he was living in Paris – Ezra Pound, Gertrude Stein, Ford Maddox Ford, F. Scott Fitzgerald and others – during that time he was a serious student and a good networker. For me, he was one of the great examples of “write what you know.”


What's your favorite quote?

There are so many wonderful quotes – and, as you know by my blog, I love using quotes as a springboard for my posts. One of my favorite quotes, also by my favorite author, is “All you have to do is write one true sentence. Write the truest sentence you know."
- Ernest Hemingway, from “A Moveable Feast.”

I like this because it encapsulates what I believe as a writer. You need to bring your truth to the page. The true sentence – the one that makes you feel something because it reeks of authenticity – that’s what I aspire to whenever I put fingers to keyboard.



What does writing mean to you?

Writing is one of the most authentic and candid ways for me to communicate. I wish I was a great orator, but I feel most comfortable when putting words on the page.


When you read a popular piece of modern fiction (if you do), how do you find you can get through it without critiquing it too badly? (Sorry about the phrasing of this question: I just find so many popular authors use a lot of formulaic writing and even repeat phrases throughout their novels/series. I find it seriously annoying and makes me not want to read anymore.)

I enjoy a good story even if it doesn’t have a strong literary bent. If the author has an engaging storyline and interesting characters I can go along for the ride and take pleasure in the world they’ve created.


Aside from writing and words, what else is there about your life that really highlights who you are?

I have a professional career that has been demanding but rewarding. I’ve been in management positions for the last 18 years. I’m a mother, partner, sister, and daughter; like most people I have many roles in life. I enjoy all types of art – music, theatre, and visual arts – anything that wakens the senses. I also love to travel – whether it is a road trip or cross-continental journey. The experience of a new place is amazing! Essentially, I love to learn and gain insight and awareness of the world around me.

******************************************

I was also honored to be interviewed by Cid over at Blog like no one is reading. It was not too painful, and I actually enjoyed her questions. Thanks, Cid, for not making me sound as crazy as I am!


2 comments:

  1. love the bubbles--my eye is still dry so I'll have to come back and read your post. Just wanted to stop by and say hi!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Koreen - it was fun! Also, I enjoyed reading your interview over at Cid's blog :)

    cheers!
    JP/deb

    ReplyDelete

I'm tickled you dropped by! Leave a link to your email or webpage so I can respond. Thanks for chatting!


The moment a child is born, the mother is also born. She never existed before.
The woman existed, but the mother, never. A mother is something absolutely new.
~Rajneesh