The most sacred thing is a child's innocence;
his trust the most inviolate.
~ KN

winn's window / koreen photography

My photo
I'm a hobbyist photographer, a school counselor, a health junkie, and a mom. But above all, I'm just a woman living my truth. My biggest happiness in life is to savour each moment while it happens. That's all. That's everything.

Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Blessings


"Mommy," said Evan, coming up to me, "I don't want this Wolverine. It's black. I want the blue and red... I mean blue and yellow one." He looked earnestly up at me holding out his new toy, an early birthday gift from his daddy.

I did not know what to say.

This level of ... greed, for want of a better term, is foreign to me. I was momentarily repulsed by it... by him. I just looked at him, paralyzed with astonishment. I've never been much into materialism, although I do appreciate the quality (meaning: price) of an item as well as the next person.

But more than that, my family grew up poor. We were technically below the poverty line, although I didn't know it at the time. Looking back, it still seems incredible how poor we were because I don't remember ever having real need. Sure, we didn't have Atari or Cabbage Patch dolls or brand name athletic shoes or fancy bikes or even color tv. BUT we had food, and clothing, and a house to sleep in. And while the bikes were secondhand, we had bikes. And we even had a new outfit each fall for school. (I stress a new outfit here, because the rest of our clothes were usually from Goodwill Salvation Army recycled gently used clothing stores.) No, I didn't feel we were poor.

Our recent and current situation has been on my mind a lot lately -- what we have, what we don't, what we need, what we want. The list seemingly went on and on. And then suddenly, it didn't.

Today, I see want; I see need. I see it all around, hidden beneath the surface, but still very much a breathing hungry entity. The need for the basics of life: food, clothing, a secure and comfortable place to sleep, even medical services. This is here. In my country. In my town. This might be you... this could be me. It almost
was me.

I think back to only a year ago when our future was in serious jeopardy. I didn't know if we would have the means necessary to get through another month. I didn't know what we would do for food, much less how Christmas would turn out for my little boy. That was only a year ago... a year since angels disguised as friends carried hope and Christmas to us... a year since steady work was found, and finances squared away. (How things change in a year!)

Only a year ago I felt rich in the love of friends and community and valued the priceless treasure of my son--my family. Today I'm lucky enough to still feel that wealth and I see we have enough. We are okay. No... we are more than okay; we are good. Not only do we have enough, but we have enough to share. And that makes me happy.

That is, happy until my son told me in so many words that he didn't appreciate this very toy he had asked for because it was the wrong color. I felt conflicted--privileged that he didn't know true need, and ashamed that he didn't know better. I'm happy he doesn't need for anything; I'm not happy he doesn't always appreciate it. It's true he's young, and it's a long (and often hard) journey to learn true appreciation and gratitude. But it has to start somewhere.

"Evan," I replied carefully, "you do not have to keep Wolverine. I can take it back, but you will not be getting another one. I want you to decide whether you want to keep this Wolverine, or not have one at all." Drastic measures are sometimes called for in the trenches of mummyhood.

He thought quickly because, after all, it's an important choice here with a lot on the line. "Um, I think I'll keep it."

Wise choice, my son.

14 comments:

  1. I love this.
    I get so caught up in what I think we "need" but really, we're ok. Our bills get paid, we might not own a home, but we have shelter. We have clothes on our back, food in our bellies, and a few extras. Life is good.
    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We went through this with our son. His grandma buys him stuff all the time and I think that's what caused it. We told her to back off. We were at Wal-mart once and he asked for a toy, and when I said no I heard him mumble under his breath, "I'll just ask grandma." :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Unfortunately I hear things like this all too often from my boys. But one of the reasons I like living in our little town as opposed to where we used to be in the big city is, although there may not be much diveristy in the ethnic sense there certainly is in the socio-economic. So when they complain that so-and-so has more I also ways tell them, "You can always find someone who has more than you but there will always be many others with far less."

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a thoughtful, interesting post that has stirred up feelings from my own *poor* childhood. I'm beginning to think that poverty is a state of mind - as you suggest.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mmmm...and I was just thinking this whilst lusting after a new shower curtain in a catalog yesterday. "I haven't gotten a new shower curtain in over 5 years." And then I thought, "But do you NEED one?" Sigh. I do not.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I grew up much the same as you, and because of that I found I over compensated when it came to my children. When they were young, I had moments when I thought they didn't appreciate anything. It wasn't until recently, when my daughter thanked her father and I for all that she had growing up.

    They do eventually clue in; sometimes it just takes a few years.

    I like the way you handled the situation :)

    Jack ♥

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this post! I think all children go through this; how you dealt with it was great! IMHO. I have three very different children, all unique, all lovely; one child will give hers away to whoever needs it most, the other will keep his, oblivious as to any other choices and the third one will see an opportunity to maybe get two or three or maybe even four! *L* Ah, it's down to nature so often but then us parents step in to nurture, to teach and to ensure they understand the important things in life.

    Thanks for stopping by yesterday, I'll make you salmon curry anytime! ;O)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such a hard lesson to teach (and learn). Have you read "The Glass Castle" by Jeannette Wall? It's an excellent memoir about growing up below the poverty line and maintaining hope that you can still accomplish your dreams. Good stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a beautifully written and honest post. Your reaction shows your gratitude, integrity, and love for your child. Your are a wonderful parent.

    ReplyDelete
  11. We really do have to teach them everything, don't we? Gratitude, appreciation, knowing your audience - all while we struggle with those issues ourselves. Insightful post.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I struggle with this with my own kids SO much. It makes my blood boil, and I hope that they'll grow out of it, but I worry...

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is a helpful post - an encouragement for all the moms out here!
    BTW, great job!

    ReplyDelete

I'm tickled you dropped by! Leave a link to your email or webpage so I can respond. Thanks for chatting!


The moment a child is born, the mother is also born. She never existed before.
The woman existed, but the mother, never. A mother is something absolutely new.
~Rajneesh