The most sacred thing is a child's innocence;
his trust the most inviolate.
~ KN

winn's window / koreen photography

My photo
I'm a hobbyist photographer, a school counselor, a health junkie, and a mom. But above all, I'm just a woman living my truth. My biggest happiness in life is to savour each moment while it happens. That's all. That's everything.

Saturday, April 17, 2010

Comparisons

Life here... well, it's different... and yet the same.

Let me break it down for you: 5019 kilometres distance (3119 miles); 5 provinces between; maritimes to prairie; rural to town.

Big changes.

And yet, not so big. Some things are remarkably similar. We still speak English, for instance. Granted, it's a more understandable version here out west (for me, anyways, as I was west coast raised), but the same nonetheless. We have (different versions of) the same stores. We use the same multi-colored monopoly money out here.

And some differences. There's more country music stations. There's fewer bugs out here. (Except for the spider that crawled under my hair last night as I slept and bit me on the back of the neck. Web-slinging skills aside, it woke me up in the middle of the night and itched like a mother-f.... um, anyways.... back to what I was saying.) There's more sky.

No, seriously; I can see more sky. It's a big thing for me. Ever heard of "big sky Montana"? Well, we're just north of that. Same thing. Lots of rolling hills and prairie land, which equals more room to see the horizon and the sky.

Room to breathe.

And here are more comparisons of our life in pictures... because it's just more fun that way.

Dinos still lay where they fall, exhausted after rough-roaring-rollicking playtime with the dino wrangler. Now, however, they have a nice cushiony bed to rest on. Yes, I'll come out of the closet and admit it: I love carpeting. I don't care about dust mites or allergens. That's why God made Mr. Dyson who invented the only vacuum worth using.

Siesta


Evan still dreams of dinos, just in a different bed. Sure, he might be batman-pajama-wearing and sleep in a spiderman bed, but he still dreams and thinks of dinos.

I dream of dinos


We still have flames to warm ourselves by, but this kind won't take an hour, half a gallon of lighter fluid, and a sailor's vocabulary to start (depending on which way the wind is blowing, of course). All I need is a switch. Ahhhhh..... We still have little footprints to admire of course, and our ritual candle-lighting at night. You know, the important things.

Burning time


Here's where (I think) the differences become glaringly apparent. Take a good long look at the next picture and compare it to the following one taken last summer. Can YOU spot the differences?

Point of view


Maritime country

Did you see the subtle differences? No? Okay, I'll tell you. There are houses and stores and people and a real neighbourhood in the first. Just an empty field in the second (the deer had just left).

Did we come down in life, moving from an idyllic rural existence to a cliched suburban haven? If so, then I think down is the new up. Because I love having people around me. I love being in a community. I love the noises and sights of a place where lots of people live. I love the friendliness of this little community. I love how even though there are tons of people living around me (I'm guessing, I haven't actually weighed them), I feel that there is more space to breathe and relax. I don't feel suffocated anymore.

There will be rough times ahead, when the reality of the move has actually hit me and I'm dealing with adjusting and Evan missing all his friends (and mine too).
But for now, I'm just looking to the day.

**********************

More weekly winners:

weeklywinnersapril2010


17 comments:

  1. So glad to hear the dinosaurs (and you and Evan)are settling in. Welcome to your new home sweet home!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Moving is never really "fun" but a lot of work... but SO glad to see you're settling in and liking the new local. Love the comparisons. Loved this post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope you all settle in soon. Good luck in your new home and community.

    ReplyDelete
  4. And look! You have an awesome playground right there!

    For the record, I was born in Great Falls, Montana. I bet you're not too far from there!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad to see you're settling in! Good luck! You have a great attitude about it and that will maek all the difference :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I absolutely get what you are saying. Great pictures to illustrate it, too. Welcome Home!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad to hear you are all enjoying the new location! Love the park in your community. That is something I miss out here in the boonies

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds and looks like a wonderful place for you guys to be. I'm so happy for you, for that space to breathe.
    (and love the cool dinosaur decals!!)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I know what you mean about moving...we just moved, too. =) Great photos!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It looks as if you are quiet happy with your new home. Unfortunately I couldn't find out from where to where you moved. I suppose you stayed in Canada. I like to live where I live there is countryside and city at the same time. That's not like living in a real big city or really on the countryside.

    ReplyDelete
  11. So much has changed... But it looks like good change. Welcome to your new home, and I hope you meet lots of new friends and have many new great experiences very, very soon. And I have no doubt, because you're one cool chick :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I agree with the others... and it's a good thing dinosaurs travel well.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Welcome to your new home! I love the top dinosaur photo. And funny that you actually see more big sky in a more urban area. I'm moving next month and am sure I'll have similarly mixed feelings.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Enjoy all of the changes. I hope you meet wonderful friends and neighbors. And tell me... is a Dyson really worth the cost?

    ReplyDelete
  15. So happy to hear you are settling in. I hope you, Evan and the dinosaurs find your way peacefully into your new home.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Well, a trade off. Hopefully there are green pastures within a short walk or bike ride? That fireplace looks so cozy--I love your description of the old one!

    ReplyDelete
  17. "I'm thinking down is the new up." Great saying! Looks like you've got a great place to live with your boy - even if it did have a determined spider living in it (for a little while).

    ReplyDelete

I'm tickled you dropped by! Leave a link to your email or webpage so I can respond. Thanks for chatting!


The moment a child is born, the mother is also born. She never existed before.
The woman existed, but the mother, never. A mother is something absolutely new.
~Rajneesh