My reasons, off and on: didn't have the words, didn't have the interest, didn't think anyone else had the interest, feeling private...
But now I must set it down because change can be wonderful and I've had wonderful changes happen over the past few years.
In March of 2011 I had a bit of oral surgery. Not a big thing, definitely not a big deal. Except for the part where I paid for it out of my meagre paycheck I was saving and scrounging for a new camera. Instead, I got doped up, operated on, and my life changed. Anyone who's had extreme dental work or surgery knows you can't chew for several days to a couple (or more) weeks. As I had severe anxiety – almost debilitating at times – I followed the instructions of the surgeon to the letter. I stopped eating (of course) and went on a liquid diet while I was healing. For 10 days I avoided chewing and only ingested what I could swallow in a liquid form. That's all; that was the beginning.
The liquids I drank were "clean foods". I've always been interested in health and foods in particular as I have a history of food allergies. I wasn't the health nut I am now, but I started choosing organic, nutrient-dense foods to liquify and drink while I healed. During the healing process my husband, also not a health nut, went nuts over the health food store and started bringing me all kinds of products that I "might be interested in". With that support, the ball got rolling.
Strange things began happening.
As I got away from the processed food, the grains, the starches ... the weight just disappeared. 20 pounds in 2 weeks. And it continued for several more pounds over the next 5 months. And it's stayed off. For about 2 years now. I also got off all medications for the fibromyalgia ... a miracle in itself.
I've talked a bit in the past about my health, going gluten-free, and growing my own food. But there's more to it than that. I've, for the most part, gone grain-free as well, and free of processed foods and sugar. I don't subscribe to an particular diet, just find out what works for me and do it. I focus on whole foods, and no chemicals or funky new-fangled recombinant technology to 'create' my food out of a laboratory. I don't follow the popularized, standardized high-carb low-fat diet or think that the food pyramid as the government has set it has any merit in it whatsoever. I eat low-carb and specific carb, moderate protein, and lots of fat, the healthy fats. None of the vegetable oils or margarines or chemically-derived fats for me; I focus on organic meats, organic butter and yoghurt and cheese – preferably from free-range beasts, high-quality olive and coconut oils, eggs (lots of organic eggs from free-range hens!), and medium chain triglycerides added into my smoothies. And of course, peanut butter - my addiction, will always be there.
In part an answer to the question "What am I doing here?", I'm also going to explore some topics that are now interesting me. Not as a professional, by any means. But as someone who's figuring some stuff out and wanting to share what I've learned along the way. It's important to me and I hope someone reading this will find it important to them too.
As my interest in health grew, my interest in photography waned. And that's something I've struggled with and talked about before. But this... is the other side of it. It's a side I'm now embracing. And yes, my interest in photography is always there, and the inspiration is starting to come back. I will continue to photograph and share these images and moments that captivate me. That will still be here.
And next time – maybe, just maybe – there'll be more photos to go along with the words that need to be said.

I can't wait to read more about your journey! This sounds pretty interesting...
ReplyDeleteGood for you!
ReplyDelete