The most sacred thing is a child's innocence;
his trust the most inviolate.
~ KN

winn's window / koreen photography

My photo
I'm a hobbyist photographer, a school counselor, a health junkie, and a mom. But above all, I'm just a woman living my truth. My biggest happiness in life is to savour each moment while it happens. That's all. That's everything.

Saturday, June 2, 2012

It's Good To Experiment


Some of my latest obsessions hobbies include growing things.  Actual green things like plants you can eat.  I bought a bakers rack, put it in my dining room against the window, and threw a bunch of pots and seeds at it.  This made good use of the light and at the same time blocked some of it.  "Mom, can you close the blinds?  The light's bothering me."  Um, yeah.  That's not going to happen.

In the kitchen

One of the things grown is the basil that I put into my very own pesto.  Which I then froze.  I don't know what I'll use it for, but I've wanted to make my own pesto for a while now.  And I hear freezing it is a good way to store it.

IMG_6511

So then I'll have handy little morsels of pesto goodness, whenever I need it.

Which hasn't happened yet.

The homemade fruit roll-ups were a success (no, I didn't grow the fruit): my son approved it.  And that's something.

And the sun tea turned out great.  Of course, it's real California sun tea (in other words, not sweetened). The neighbourhood kids deemed it "Yuck!" and my son said "It tastes like coffee."  Of course, not ever having had coffee, his assessment cannot be considered officially reliable.  But I let him think it was.

I, however, loved it.  One of the perks of drastically reducing your daily intake of sugar (to almost nothing) is that everything tastes sweet.  Even real California sun tea.

3 comments:

  1. This all looks really yummy and the pictures look yummy too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just got to check out all your green goodness in these last few posts- how exciting! And seriously- those plants are growing better for you indoors than they are for me out in the garden!!! So smart to put the pesto frozen in bits like that- I'm so stealing the idea! I make and freeze the stuff, but usually put it in jelly jars to defrost in the fridge. This works fine, but sometimes you just need a cube for something and it's a bear to scrape out. See? So glad you're back Koreen, how would I have know to do that without you?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum! Great photos and thanks for inspiring me to do some experimenting with the yummy green things I'm growing.

    ReplyDelete

I'm tickled you dropped by! Leave a link to your email or webpage so I can respond. Thanks for chatting!


The moment a child is born, the mother is also born. She never existed before.
The woman existed, but the mother, never. A mother is something absolutely new.
~Rajneesh