The most sacred thing is a child's innocence;
his trust the most inviolate.
~ KN

winn's window / koreen photography

My photo
I'm a hobbyist photographer, a school counselor, a health junkie, and a mom. But above all, I'm just a woman living my truth. My biggest happiness in life is to savour each moment while it happens. That's all. That's everything.

Thursday, September 17, 2009

Things I Learned While On Vacation

My son likes some kind of Vanilla Bean Latte cookies dipped in orange juice. He devoured them on the flight. Both there and on the way back. And then asked for more.

It's still possible to go a couple of days without sleep. I'm not saying I want to do it often... or ever again. Just that I can survive. It's not pretty, though.

After 2 days without sleep and thinking I lost our passports, it's possible to become extremely paranoid and start hallucinating. (Still worried about identity theft happening again.)

A good night's sleep can fix most anything.

There is a LOT more to learn about dinosaurs than I ever imagined! (Sigh.)

Hands down, people -- especially strangers -- are much more friendly in the west. That being said, our plane from Calgary to Halifax was full of friendly, cheerful elderly people. Some that looked like they were in their 70's and 80's... ooh-ing and ahh-ing over the cuteness of the few toddlers and babies on board. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to really appreciate it as I was seriously lacking sleep. (I don't know if those friendly people were going home to Nova Scotia or just visiting. But I can tell you one very grumpy person was going "home". Me.)

You can get a sunburn in Northern Alberta in September. Ouch.

My son outgrew his footwear while we were gone. He spent a lot of the summer in sandals and sometimes barefoot. And I just wasn't paying that much attention. Suddenly, in cooler weather, I'm trying to force his foot into his size 9 and 1/2 shoes, only to find out that he's just barely a 10 and 1/2 and might soon be in 11's. How the heck did that happen? Was I really that busy? So: more shoe shopping for the boy.

Jackrabbits like living in the city. Maybe there are fewer coyotes? And they enjoy showing up in my apocalyptic dreams. Just sayin'.

4 comments:

  1. I was ashamed to learn my middle son had leaped TWO shoe sizes over the summer. That's the barefeet/sandals problem, isn't it? They grow so fast.
    Glad you had good traveling companions!

    ReplyDelete
  2. For me, one of the best parts of vacations is coming home. Great to get out and have experiences; even greater to come home and finally RELAX! =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a good vacstion. Hope you get caught up on sleep.

    ReplyDelete

I'm tickled you dropped by! Leave a link to your email or webpage so I can respond. Thanks for chatting!


The moment a child is born, the mother is also born. She never existed before.
The woman existed, but the mother, never. A mother is something absolutely new.
~Rajneesh