Whew! The wrapping is done. That is, all the wrapping except for the gift from *Santa*. I need to get different wrapping paper and a completely different style of bow. You know, to further the myth.
Speaking of which, I ran into a big problem the other week. It's one of those things that is on my mind and aggravates the heck out of me.
It's Santa.
"You'd better watch out, you'd better not cry, you'd better not shout, I'm telling you why;"
That's right. The red-suited old clown who insists on hood-winking young children into behaving. It's actually kinda creepy how "he knows if you are sleeping; he knows if you're awake; he knows if you've been bad or good..." If some old red-velvet clothed dude who sees me when I'm sleeping told me to hop on his lap and offered me candy you'd bet I'd scream and run. Which is probably why this happened:
And then when I asked him to smile, I got this:
The blur is my own fault. I was giggling to hard to hold the camera steady.
Don't misunderstand -- Evan was more than happy to go to see Santa. He asked for it; he wanted to. He couldn't imagine anything better. But when it came time, he froze. I say those are good instincts. Even though we're in public and mommy is right here, if you're uncomfortable, say so.
Afterwards, though, he was unhappy that he forgot to tell Santa what he wanted for Christmas.
Which brings me right around to the rest of this: I didn't want him to believe in Santa. From his first Christmas I've explained (because a 9-month-old understands these things) that Santa Claus is a cultural icon, representing the spirit of giving and goodwill, and fabricated around the saint who saved hundreds of children from slavery in the middle ages. In a nutshell. Of course he forgot about it because he mind cannot retain any pertinent information unless it's about one of his hobbies or how mean I am (which is a hobby in itself).
I tried to explain it all again to him this year, however the massive inpouring of cultural specificity regarding this joyous season overwhelmed him and rendered this subject taboo. And, of course, I'm mean for suggesting it.
Also, in a nutshell, he cried.
"There's no Santa?"
"Um, do you want me to lie to you?"
"What?"
"Would you rather I lie to you about Santa and tell you what you want to hear, or do you want the truth?"
"I want you to lie to me."
So that's how it is around here. I think deep down he knows there's no Santa, but for now, he'd like there to be one. And now I'm left holding the bag and supporting the myth.
He wants me to pretend? Okay, I'll pretend! We're going all out: the letter to Santa, the email from Santa, the rules and regulations about behavior and expectations that Santa has of young children, the cookies and milk (or in our case, the cupcakes and juice -- my preference), the cats being Santa's spies on behavior, etc. I'm working it.
"... so be good for goodness sake!"
Trust me, I'm using it completely for my advantage.



I hear ya! But I always loved Santa and didn't feel angry at my parents for the lie, so we continue it. Funny that evan so wants to believe even though you tell him the truth. There is some fun excitement about Santa he does not want to miss. Cute. Mine have deep discussions on the topic quite frequently. Sammy is more the skeptic, aaron the faithful. Funny to watch. And yes. I am up at 2 am.
ReplyDeleteMy intention when we first had kids was to treat Santa like Mickey Mouse. Everyone likes Mickey, but no one actually believes that he's real. But noooooo... the kids insisted on believing. They watched the movies and decided that it was all true.
ReplyDeleteI hated lying to them, so I made all of my answers noncommittal, but they still believed. Even more than that, I hated to give the guy all the credit. No way was some fat hairy dude going to take all the credit for all of my hard work! So, like you, we had special paper and bows (much fancier than my stuff) to wrap the Santa presents in. He brought them each one thing and filled their stockings. That's it... the rest was from me! Which probably perpetuated the myth, but whatever... I wanted credit!
AND... all of my kids believed in Santa for FOREVER! Seriously, the average age that they figured it all out was 10!!! That's too darn old! And... like you I even tried to tell my son the truth, but he wanted nothing to do with it.
So, there you have it. Love him or hate him, you're stuck with Santa. And don't even get me started on that song... creepy!
Okay... I'll breath now. Guess I have some santa issues. ;)
ReplyDeleteThat comment was longer than most of my posts!
A voice of reason in this holiday season!
ReplyDeleteDon't worry. He may not thank you now, but he will when he understands that the critical thinking skills you instilled serve him well as a teen and adult.
And you don't have to worry about how much he'll hate you for lying to him when he eventually has that "aha" moment.
My youngest child found out the truth about Santa Claus, the Easter Bunny, and the Tooth Fairy last year (she's 12!). Her older sisters believed in Santa until they were at least 8...I kept the myth alive as long as I could! I rarely lie, but I think Santa is a "good" lie because it doesn't hurt anybody! Any bait you can use to calm the kids down when they're driving you nuts is a good thing too ("You'd better stop doing that, because Santa can see what you're doing, and might not bring you any presents!").
ReplyDeleteWendy
I honestly believe in the SPIRIT of Santa, which allows me to tell my younger sons without compunction that I do believe in Santa--and of course he uses different gift wrap, bows, gift tags and handwriting than I do...
ReplyDelete