The most sacred thing is a child's innocence;
his trust the most inviolate.
~ KN

winn's window / koreen photography

My photo
I'm a hobbyist photographer, a school counselor, a health junkie, and a mom. But above all, I'm just a woman living my truth. My biggest happiness in life is to savour each moment while it happens. That's all. That's everything.

Tuesday, January 20, 2009

.... Is Also HandyMummy

I helped my father-in-law replace our old water pump today with a new one. Just to clarify for everyone: HE did all the work. I just was there. Sheesh! If I knew the inside of the pipes looked like that I never would have drunk that much water here! Now I know why people don't like to come visit....

So the problem all along was the pipes: they corroded and ruined the ancient pump. That was something I didn't know yesterday, and I hope I don't need to learn ever again. I helped with the blowtorch and solder, used wrenches and vicegrips, and I learned the difference between a 1/2 inch nut and a 9/16 inch nut... not a lot of difference after all, but the wrong size still won't work. Multiple trips to the hardware store later, I bought stuff I didn't need, but the $2.47 I wasted doesn't touch the $200 I saved by "hiring" a retired welder. It's bright shiny new. That is, the pump is shiny-new, not the welder. Now I just hope the darn thing is still working in the morning.

Here's some pics of the horror:







And our new pump:
Interestingly enough, they're both blue. I just noticed that. Interesting....

2 comments:

  1. Yuck! So, will you have to replace the pipes as well?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Already done! It was only a 1 foot section of pipe that did all that damage... the rest of it was copper and uncorroded. Dumb, eh? We used plastic... noncorrosive.

    ReplyDelete

I'm tickled you dropped by! Leave a link to your email or webpage so I can respond. Thanks for chatting!


The moment a child is born, the mother is also born. She never existed before.
The woman existed, but the mother, never. A mother is something absolutely new.
~Rajneesh