Summer is still here. (Words that soothe my soul.) That means we spend every minute outside that we can, because soon... too soon... winter will be here. And winter is when my soul hibernates and I hate to am loathe to die a little each time I go outside.
So we're outside as much as possible.
Outside, where the buffalo roam.
Even if the buffalo are not wild, but live in a safe cozy field and are tattoed and tagged and given the best food to eat.
Outside, where I'm trying to not kill my last plant.
The hardy rosemary... it's not looking so good now, not even with lots of sun and water. I don't know why... other than I can't grow anything to save my life. Seriously. I'm amazed the cat and the kid haven't kicked it from my ministrations.
Outside...
...wait. Outside, where the smoke from the hundreds of forest fires from hundreds of kilometres away drifted to lay like a blanket over our idyllic neighbourhood? Outside, where I thought an unnatural mist or fog had moved in, perhaps even dementors?
Oh no! But oh, yes! See how dense and thick it is? Cars relied on their lights, people didn't go out... much. And no, it's really not overcast. Notice the sun in the last photo? Yes, it would have been a brilliantly sunny day otherwise. As it was, the smoke choked our throats and aggravated our sinuses, and made the day cold and grey. Cold as in nuclear winter. The sun couldn't penetrate it.
It lasted several days and has been gone several days, but we're still sniffling from it.
But then...
We went outside after it cleared. And it was sunny... and warm again. Outside, where Evan could practice his "bike tricks". At the skatepark. With all the big boys.
He's been riding without his training wheels for at least a month now (and he really didn't need them much before that because I noticed they didn't touch the ground at all, except when he came to a stop). He's moved from preschooler learning a new skill to young man honing that skill in a rigorous (for him) environment. It's precious, and scary, but precious.
It's still sunny and warm outside, so get on out there and soak up as much as you can before wretched Old Man Winter stifles all our fun.

Love the Rosemary shot!
ReplyDeletethat is pretty sad . . . and i am with you - winter, a bit of me withers up and dies each year that passes
ReplyDeleteThese are all great! I love the sun flare pic. Gorgeous!
ReplyDeleteLove the buffalo. Wonderful shots.
ReplyDeleteI was checking out blogs and came across yours. Cool photos. Your blog is alot better than mine. I just started and I'm still learnig how to do it. I'm an Author with a book coming out early next year (my first Yippee! I'm excited). Check out my blog and any comments you have to make it better will be appreciated.
ReplyDeleteIt's About The Books.blogspot.com
Wonderful shots, and now I am singing "home on the range".
ReplyDeleteI'm green with envy that you have buffalo nearby. And I love your little biker. Your story was interesting too with perfect pictures to illustrate it. Nice post!
ReplyDeletethe rosemary shot is great and it made me giggle. im terrible at not killing plants myself but thankfully rosemary always seems to survive me.
ReplyDeleteI like the dementors reference. Perfect! That doesn't look like it would be fun to deal with though.
ReplyDeleteThe buffalo! Cool! And I love how your little guy can hold his own with the big boys! :)
ReplyDeleteLove all the bike shots!! and they are darn cute as well :)
ReplyDeleteI like the buffalo picture. The rosemary shot is pretty cool too.
ReplyDeleteI like the buffalo. My rosemary just sat in the pot and never changed. Could not understand why. First time herbing so maybe there is something I do not know.
ReplyDeleteIsn't your little guy only 4 or 5? OMG, he has no fear. Love that last shot. BTW, I too am a killer of plants and lover of summer : )
ReplyDeleteOh boooo, that smoke looks MISERABLE.. I am sorry! The shots before that and after looked amazing though! No training wheels... that is exciting stuff :D
ReplyDeleteAlthough I autumn is my favorite season, I've been painfully aware that our summer is coming to an end too. Yay for your little man free of his training wheels!
ReplyDeleteWe saw buffalo yesterday, too, on our way home from the lake! wowza. Think of all the cookies and books that the winter brings, eh? (smiles.)
ReplyDelete