I'm coming out of the closet.
I'm picking myself up off the ground from where I've fallen off the wagon... not that I was ever on the wagon, but.... anyways.
I've got a touch of the shakes... a bit of withdrawal. I had no idea I could feel like this.
It's worse than when I went off coffee.
Worse than when I went off Valium.
Much worse than when I went off liquor.
It's my itchy shutter finger.
My addiction: my Canon Rebel... shooting life... capturing moments, beauty, never to be forgotten memories....
I haven't touched it in 5 days. I've been clean for 5 days.
My name is Koreen, and I'm a photographer.
Why haven't I touched my camera in 5 days, you ask? Well, turns out, even good little cameras need TLC. I was getting frustrated with the focus... both auto and manual. They seemed to be just a titch off. I couldn't get it to work right. I started feeling like my photographing abilities had peaked and were sliding down a greased slope. I thought my career was over before it began. Then my husband picked up my camera one day (having been an amateur/semi-professional photographer in a previous life) and remarked, "there's something wrong with the focus."
Relief flooded through me. Oh, the relief! It's not me! It's the camera! Thank god I took out an extended service plan on this beautiful piece of technology. I rushed it in to the camera doctor, stat, and now I wait. It'll be two weeks... at least... until I see it again. Two weeks while it makes its cross-country journey to the professionals to get cleaned and serviced and doctored up.
But still, I'm impatient. And sad. And shaking. I've missed so many wonderful, beautiful, funny photo ops. My shutter finger is itching, and while I've tried to distract it with the point-and-shoot video (something the Rebel can't do), it's just not the same.
I'm missing things like this:
(This is one of the last good photos I took before I had to send it off to the camera paramedics.)
Now, please excuse me while I drown my sorrows with photo editing.
(Actually, not a bad idea... I have a backlog from that wedding, engagement shoot, etc. Yikes! It's an addiction. I can't stop, I tell ya!)

Two weeks! Yikes! I guess turning your hand to photo editing will help some.
ReplyDeleteThat picture is amazing. The sky is on fire!
Hey Koreen:
ReplyDeleteI've got something for you over at my blog:
http://writerwoman61.wordpress.com/2010/09/10/handing-out-the-hardware/
Wendy
Koreen! Oh my gosh. I am so frustrated with my own camera right now. I think it's the camera, then I think it's my lens. So then I try a different lens and get frustrated again. I'm supposed to do a family session on Sunday, and I keep thinking if I just stop down my aperture I'll be okay. ACK!!! So it's alright to admit there is a problem and it's possibly not me!?
ReplyDeleteI know what you mean. Mine needs to be fixed but I don't want to have to send it across the country...why do we all have to send these things? Anyway. Love that gorgeous sky!
ReplyDeleteTwo weeks? My husband once told me I should sleep with my cannon beside me--in case of fire, I wouldn't have to look for it. I have the same camera and the extended warrantee with the cleaning is sure worth it but that doesn't stop the longing and constant reaching out to click.
ReplyDeleteHope its back good as new! Soon!
Oh, you have it bad. Is there a 12 step program for this horrible affliction?
ReplyDeleteI suppose the shitty camera in your phone isn't enough to take the edge off?
Wow, that's gorgeous!! I think I'd give up just about anything for two weeks if I could look at sunsets like that in person.
ReplyDeleteAwesome shot.
ReplyDeleteWow. I assume you've gone through the questions, right? "Do you Canon alone?" "Do you find yourself sneaking a Canon when others aren't paying attention?"
ReplyDeleteBut when you're making art, does it count as addiction?
Ooh, sorry about your Canon. Ever since we got back from the beach, I can hear SAND in my zoom lens. That can't be good.
ReplyDeleteGod speed, Canon worker people.
My Sony DSLR seems to need some attention too. My pictures arent as clear as they once were and I have found myself doubting my picture taking abilities.
ReplyDeleteI am just not ready to send it away for some TLC......
Wow! That sky is stunning and frightening all at once. Get well soon, Canon.
ReplyDelete