This morning I went outside to take a picture of the sky. It was a pretty morning sky. But that wasn't what blew me away.
See, I grew a garden* this year beside the house, where I had the compost pile from last year and over the winter. Our yard consists mainly of clay and poor soil with lots of drainage problems, but the compost pile changed a little bit of that at the side.
So.
The boy went out and looked in the little patch of what we have while I was shooting the sky. Now, we've been following the progress of the few things that are planted, and it's been somewhat encouraging.
This morning, he checked on it.
We've had quite a few blooms and little protruberances coming out of the stems.
Then, practically overnight, they went and changed into this.
And when I tell you it's miraculous, it's true. I have the non-green-est thumb in the world. Particularly in my patch of the world.
Now, look at the size of this thing:
I caught it when it was still small enough to be tender and tasty, but it's still a good 7 inches long -- it would have been more but somehow the end got broken off during the harvesting process (side eye to Evan).
So, it appears that miracles do occur. Even in my own little garden.
Here's more proof. I've kept these alive too....
It's a happy little garden and tummies are going to be happy tonight, too.
* Our garden consists of 4 huge yellow zucchini plants, 4 potato plants (2 huge and 2 stunted), 4 very stunted kale, and a handful of stunted scallions.
Also: all photos SOOC except for the daisies. They weren't completely cooperative today.

What a beautiful gift you are giving your child with a garden to nurture --- stunted kale and all. It IS amazing what can happen overnight, right?
ReplyDeleteYAY! I need to pick my yellow zucchini too. It's almost terrifying how fast they grow. Hooray for your awesome garden! :)
ReplyDeleteThat sounds like a garden I would grow, some stunted, some growing, but I hear you can never go wrong with zuchini.
ReplyDeleteThis makes me hungry for real vegetables. We've only been on the road for two days and I'm already wanting green food.
I'm really impressed. I have a brown thumb so it would be truly a miracle if that happened to me.
ReplyDeleteSo cool to grow things, I get such a kick out of it too!
ReplyDeleteWow, good for you! Looks delicious!
ReplyDeleteMy zucchini (green) is almost ready too! Love the "word" posts, Koreen!
ReplyDeleteWendy
hehe! What a fun story!! My cucumber plant got fried in all the heat -- for whatever reason I couldn't keep it watered enough -- and it only had one 2" cucumber even try to make it! And there was a crazy storm that blew through and may have destroyed half my tomato plants -- not that it mattered much cause I'm still waiting on the few tiny green guys to grow up! Oh, well!! So glad to see you're getting a miracle garden! Isn't it fun to see and eat what you grow?? :)
ReplyDelete