The most sacred thing is a child's innocence;
his trust the most inviolate.
~ KN

winn's window / koreen photography

My photo
I'm a hobbyist photographer, a school counselor, a health junkie, and a mom. But above all, I'm just a woman living my truth. My biggest happiness in life is to savour each moment while it happens. That's all. That's everything.

Thursday, January 3, 2013

Chaos and Renewal

So.

Much has in fact been happening here.  And more is destined to happen.  Because that's the way life is... it goes on.

First off.  A major disappointment this winter.  I was all set to acquire the amazing new Canon 6D... something I've been craving for some time since I first heard about it last summer.  But.  (Of course there's a but.  There's always a but.) The cat needed major surgery and the car needed silly things like new tires and alignments and other such extravagances.  Apparently, here in Canada, you sometimes want frivolities like treads on your tires to stay on icy roads.  Whatever.

So.  The camera stays safely in the camera shop.  And I stay safely the exact same amount poorer AND camera-free.

But the cat's happy and so is the driver of the car.

Continuing working with the old camera I have (while I save up again) can be a good thing.  I will start improving again and become a better photographer with what I have and when I get the 6D I will be awesome.  Isn't that nice to imagine?

I discovered a couple months ago that I really haven't made the best use of my camera.  I think I was looking forward to the new one too much, and I kinda gave up on the old one.  I didn't take as many pictures as I should have.  I've missed out on a lot.

Christmas itself was a mess... the dad had the stomach flu (we had already gone through THAT a couple weeks before and were already recovered), but I had many distractions at Christmas, and I did not bring out my camera even once.  Not at all.  Not when family was here, or at Christmas eve or Christmas morning.  Nothing.  Bad me.  Bad bad bad me.

When the family was here (brother, sister and their spouses), it was hectic and chaotic and busy.  First, there were delays and some people were late.  Then there was a (sort of) oven fire when the element burnt out in the middle of preparing the roast bird.  We actually kept the bird cooking on the stovetop while the men ran out to the next town (!) to get the only element available for our stove in a 200 kilometre radius.  Yes, at least Maytag has a parts tracking service.  (By the way, that's why the Maytag repairman on television is so bored with nothing to do... you do it yourself!  Not a fan of Maytag.  Not even close.)  But peace and joy reigned for the Christmas dinner and the bird was roasted and delicious.  And then we rushed off to the boy's hockey game... which turned out to be not a game, but a family skate because of the holiday.  Who knew?  But of course, the camera lay forgotten who-knows-where and now my shame is made public.

So.  This brings me to a goal for this year.  There will be no resolutions.  I once made a resolution to never make new years resolutions so I have to abide by that resolution.  Ironic, eh?  There will be no 365 commitment, because I'm lazy and undisciplined.  As that's part of my personal charm, I must not tinker with it because that's all I've got going for me.  So, um, the goal.  I plan to take more photos.  That's all.  I will try to do it daily, but not stress if I can't.  After all, life does have a ... life ... of it's own and the unpredictable will inevitably happen even when I try to predict it.

E_9255-1

That's all.  But that's enough.

And I will try to post more here.  More than once a month, which it appears is the most I got to last year.  Not much of a goal, but still something.  After all it's about baby steps.

And I do have words.  Lots of them to say, and it appears as if they're ready to be released on their own into the wild.

As does the boy.

E_9239bw-1

4 comments:

  1. I'm always so comfortable coming here. You are raw and honest and don't mince words- hard to find- especially on blogs these days- even my blog where I can't quite talk about in-law issues for example because I know they read daily. I appreciate you so very much Koreen and between that last post and this one I very much wish you lived in my town because I would be the good kind of neighbor and friend to you- promise!

    And finally- my 55mm lens recently acquired a, shall we say, dent in it which has made me try and learn to love my other lens- the lovely kit. sigh. Thanks for sharing that even photographers I look up to occasionally have set backs. ;) Chin up!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. New cameras are so fun. Hope you get yours soon. I tried 365 three times. I'm not attempting that again. I've learned I can only make it to March or April.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like GOALS. And I think you're pretty great for not throwing in the towel, but figuring out how to make the most of what you've got while your cat and car are better off;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What and whenever you post, I'm always thrilled by what I find here. Goals are a great thing. But I find comfort in reminding myself that sometimes it's 5 steps forward, 2 steps back. As long as I'm making some progress, that's a good thing. :) Happy New year to you and yours!

    ReplyDelete

I'm tickled you dropped by! Leave a link to your email or webpage so I can respond. Thanks for chatting!


The moment a child is born, the mother is also born. She never existed before.
The woman existed, but the mother, never. A mother is something absolutely new.
~Rajneesh