But mostly I think I'm not happy with my photography and feeling uninspired, feeling like it's not going where I want it to go. It's a feeling of being stuck and not knowing what to do next.
As a something-to-do, I put up a handful of photos at Clickin Moms for some serious critiquing. It needed it. I needed it. I received some awesome feedback that, while they didn't pull the punches, it wasn't as hard to take as I thought.
They were right. Everything they said made sense.
And I knew something else. I need to take a step back. (That was the feedback from some... take a step back so we can see more, too closed in, need more space...)
But I need to step back from my photography. Really take a good look at what I'm doing, what I want to do with it, what I need to work on, and the improvements in my skill level. All that needs to happen before I even look at where I want to go with it.
I also realized that while I'm nowhere in a league close to some photographers I admire, like Jess from Old Nichols Farm or Praveen from Zoom Life Productions or Kat or Jill or Charmaine or any number of other photographers.
But I do want to tell a story with my photos. Frankly, it's not all about portraiture or what sells that I like. I like the little things, the everyday things that I want to remember. I want to see these memories that are not static polite smiles. I want the smirks, the laughter, the tears, the daydream. I want the messes as well as the picture-perfect moments.
And I feel drawn to try things on my own that have been tried before and may be cliche, but I haven't done them so I want to do them. All part of learning, right? I feel drawn to try some artsy stuff. No matter how much it's been done before. I haven't done it. And I want to. I want to experiment and push myself in that way. And I will do it.
One thing I do know. I am NOT a business person. I don't want to focus on a business right now. That's not to say I won't in the future or I'm incapable of mastering this challenge. It's not what I want right now, and it's most definitely not my focus.
My focus is the moment. Whatever that is, or wherever it takes me.

I think it's a true step to becoming a professional when you seek the expert critique and you find you're learning from it and excited about it instead of intimidated or discouraged by it. Good for you!
ReplyDeleteI think you take lovely photos. Living in the moment is always good too.
ReplyDeleteKoreen, I saw your comment on Jess's blog and had to come by. It's been so LONG since the last time I was here. I just have to say I love your photos, always have. But, what I love more is the insight in this post. You are listening to your heart. Keep capturing the moment and the little things. Capture your moments, your loves. That is ultimately what makes an awesome photographer! Keep up the great work!
ReplyDeleteYou've got to do what suits you. The little scenes - like the one in bed and crunching on toast - are the most captivating to me
ReplyDeleteI'm sure it's daunting stuff to submit work, or an idea to critique, but the answers in the other side are always so liberating. There is a peace in heading toward our purpose (or so I hear, haven't quite found mine yet!)and I'm truly happy for you that you are beginning to sort your own purpose out :). And a small reminder- oh yes I adore Jess's work, but I adore your photos as well. It's a circle- always someone to look up to- always someone looking up to you...
ReplyDeletei love all of your photos, you know that :) keep shootin'.
ReplyDeleteKoreen, I have no idea how I missed this post. I think often the feeling of being unsettled and unhappy with creative work means you're on the brink of a good change... and you have such a great attitude in this post. I had no idea you thought my photography was *that* good. Which makes me laugh a little. I only post my best. You should see the other 99% of crappy shots I take. ;) Perhaps that makes me a liar?
ReplyDeleteYour first photo here... I adore your indoor garden bokeh in the background. There is a huge story in both of these shots. I love them!
I'm going to go look for your thread on CM. I'm sorry I missed it the first time around.