The most sacred thing is a child's innocence;
his trust the most inviolate.
~ KN

winn's window / koreen photography

My photo
I'm a hobbyist photographer, a school counselor, a health junkie, and a mom. But above all, I'm just a woman living my truth. My biggest happiness in life is to savour each moment while it happens. That's all. That's everything.

Thursday, May 9, 2013

Catching Up

Or this post can also be entitled: The Crazy $h!t That Goes On In My Days.  It just doesn't sound right, though.  But here I am, with all kinds of crazy ....

* Had a whirlwind trip of over 2,500 kilometres out of province to a beautiful, slightly tropical place just to get the heck away from winter.  In late April.  I know.

* Took up running this week.  By mistake.  I found that I've been almost too late to pick up my son from school – 5 blocks away – because my time management skills apparently need tweaking, and he loves to walk.  So, I race home from work (a one hour commute each way), drop the car off at home, and walk up to the school to meet him.  He is only in grade one after all; he still gets scared if I'm not there on time.  So, I've had to run.  I suck at it.  But I'm also conversely enjoying it.  So I'm making it an intentional thing and, surprisingly, it's not scaring me off it.

* I'm interrupting the writing of this post to continue with my 30-day squat challenge while I watch a new episode of The Big Bang Theory.  (I'm on day 11.)  Life doesn't get better than this.  I know.

* And... I'm back.  In more ways than just finishing my exercising/TBBT episode watching:  I'm well on my way back from a sub-clinical case of The Blahs.  As a professional counselor, I can truly say I was well on my way into The Blechs, heading south through Bored, Lethargic, Apathetic and Morose, and on the fast train to Depressed.  Luckily, the trip, the weather, the exercise, and getting back on my healthy diet all helped to change things around.

* I was gaining weight big time.  No pun intended.  I went up a whole size plus.  Which was scary for me because I worked so hard at being healthy and getting to a comfortable weight for me.  Which was out of control before I got healthy.

* Part of the reason it was going that way, and probably contributing to The Blahs, was the sugar I was starting to eat again.  Oh, it started out innocently enough with some risotto, which I justified because it had delicious turkey bacon and parmesan cheese in it.  But then, I had a bit of pie (with gluten-free crust of course), and then a taste of ice cream, and then another taste of ice cream, and then I ate my way through an ice cream truck.

* My sugar and carb cravings are almost completely gone, and now I'm craving salad and salt.  Not always at different times.

* I'm really enjoying my work with the students I counsel.  At least, I feel more comfortable in that hat, it's coming again a bit more naturally my 3rd year in, after being "out of the game" for several years.

* I'm also enjoying my volunteer time at my son's school.  Kids not related to me talk to me all the time whenever I'm there.  One hugged me once.  It's strangely weird.

* I'm trying to photograph more and edit more of what I photograph.  Needless to say, The Blahs have me backlogged on that, and it's doubtful I'll actually catch up.

* Most of my garden is planted.  Now I'm such an impatient person that, while it's been less than a week, I'm all in a panic because nothing has sprouted yet.  Still need some work on chilling out.  I'm just so excited that it's spring and I can garden!

And... I think that catches me up.  For now.

But, because it just doesn't feel right to not have a photo...

ferry_0019


There were a few seagulls keeping pace with the ferry on our way to Vancouver Island, and one in particular was coasting on the air currents coming off the boat.  It was fantastic, sailing in the air so close to where I was standing at the bow.  I had to catch it, and this is only one of several shots.  I may show more... in time.




2 comments:

  1. Jen on the Edge is squatting, too. But she does hers in the shower.
    TMA, I know.
    Sounds like you get a kick out of helping your son's school--that's so nice of you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So so glad to have you back. Hope you're cheating those blahs, and I'm so impressed with your work, your squats (!!!) and your verve for the new May.

    ReplyDelete

I'm tickled you dropped by! Leave a link to your email or webpage so I can respond. Thanks for chatting!


The moment a child is born, the mother is also born. She never existed before.
The woman existed, but the mother, never. A mother is something absolutely new.
~Rajneesh