The most sacred thing is a child's innocence;
his trust the most inviolate.
~ KN

winn's window / koreen photography

My photo
I'm a hobbyist photographer, a school counselor, a health junkie, and a mom. But above all, I'm just a woman living my truth. My biggest happiness in life is to savour each moment while it happens. That's all. That's everything.

Thursday, October 9, 2008

Conversations With Evan

Sometimes I worry about his self-esteem, maybe because we're in the middle of his terrible two's, I have to discipline him so much, etc. I want to be sure he's getting enough positive reinforcement too, so I tell him when he's doing a good job, that I'm proud of him for being brave, that I love him, and I thank him when he listens or does something I ask (even if I've had to ask over and over and over and...).

So the other day, I told him, "Evan, you're a beautiful boy."

He replied, "I know."

*********************************************

He's starting preschool (ok, actually daycare, only there's no room in the toddler program, so they bumped him up to the preschool program and he's in with the 3 to 5 year olds, which he prefers anyway, so we all win). It's three hours, two days a week. It's not supposed to be torture, but it somehow is. He is just not used to being away from family, so this has been very scary to him. He cries when I try to leave, and I have to stay for a while and help him get used to this change. I'm easing him into it. On Tuesday, he threw up when I tried to leave. So much for the easing.

Today, he went on an exciting walk to a fire engine and heard all about fire safety. (It's fire safety week. Never too young....) I don't know all that they did, but he had something very important to tell me.

"Mama," he said, "I cried for you. Did you cry for me?"

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm tickled you dropped by! Leave a link to your email or webpage so I can respond. Thanks for chatting!


The moment a child is born, the mother is also born. She never existed before.
The woman existed, but the mother, never. A mother is something absolutely new.
~Rajneesh