The most sacred thing is a child's innocence;
his trust the most inviolate.
~ KN

winn's window / koreen photography

My photo
I'm a hobbyist photographer, a school counselor, a health junkie, and a mom. But above all, I'm just a woman living my truth. My biggest happiness in life is to savour each moment while it happens. That's all. That's everything.

Friday, October 10, 2008

More Conversations With Evan

On School: "I want to go to school! Mama, can I go to school?" As we're doing an errand and happen to be driving on the street that leads to his school.

"What are my people doing?" After talking about his school and new friends and teachers.

On family relationships: "I need my daddy. He worries about me." He brings this up suddenly out of nowhere as he starts thinking about his daddy, who's driving truck in another province.

On ducks: Oops. No, wait. There's no talking; only a lot of running and chasing and squawking and flapping as little boy takes off after a flock of ducks at the zoo and they get out of his way.

****************************************

Yes, we went to the zoo today. It was so much better than before. This was totally spontaneous (unusual for me), but it was such an unexpectedly sunny warm day, and Evan started talking about the zoo. This led me to remember that I told him over a week ago that we would go today if the weather was good. So, in the middle of errands today, we just took off. Now, this means an hour and a half drive, each way, to get to this zoo. I explained the logistics to Evan, and he stated that it was acceptable, so we went. He had a nap, I totally vegged out on the drive (yes, I'm sure I was speeding too); it was such a beautiful fall day that I had a better time than I imagined I would; Despite the handful of temper tantrums that are inevitable with Evan right now. Good time; bad food. And yes, Evan got to feed the bear again. In fact, he was first in line, but as he looked around for me he lost his place, so he was actually second to feed the big bear. The bear that stands 7 feet tall. He would have gone again, but it was getting late and there was a long line of children, and I thought they might enjoy feeding the bear themselves, rather than just watch Evan doing it again and again and again.... That child knows no fear! I briefly lost track of him at the gibbons (they're my favorite primate) and saw him a good 50 feet away from me, balancing on a fallen log.

And when I asked him what his favorite animal was, he said "All of them." A very good day. But I think I've had all I can take of Avril Lavigne for now (his musical choice on the very long ride back).

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm tickled you dropped by! Leave a link to your email or webpage so I can respond. Thanks for chatting!


The moment a child is born, the mother is also born. She never existed before.
The woman existed, but the mother, never. A mother is something absolutely new.
~Rajneesh