The most sacred thing is a child's innocence;
his trust the most inviolate.
~ KN

winn's window / koreen photography

My photo
I'm a hobbyist photographer, a school counselor, a health junkie, and a mom. But above all, I'm just a woman living my truth. My biggest happiness in life is to savour each moment while it happens. That's all. That's everything.

Thursday, August 26, 2010

Before And After


I saw something on my journey around the web this morning and I thought I'd like to try it. I'm working on improving my photography... and by default, my editing. As I haven't been doing much in the way of editing lately, at least because I'm liking how my photos have been turning out to begin with, and also because I don't know that many cool edits. (I haven't been able to successfully download any elements actions, and not every tutorial explains step-by-step, instead offering a download. So I'm still trying to learn... old school.)


SOOC:

Here's a photo that I took several months ago. It was my first real "photoshoot", and the pictures were cute, but technically not that well done.












Edited:

Luckily I was also learning PSE, and so I was able to do some corrections.















Re-edit:

This is because I'm an excitable nerd, and I went back and had some more fun... because I'm a nut normal like that.














I would love to hear some feedback on this, and any suggestions (including websites I can learn from). Thanks!





9 comments:

  1. his eyes are gorgeous, love the edit!! My only suggestion, and it is personal preference you might want to lighten or rmove the vignette, it is a little distracting to that beautiful baby, awesome job though!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was really bored so I decided to try my hand at editing this shot. Mind you, I have no training or anything, I just play a lot, so I don't expect that anyone will be impressed!LOL

    Step by step: Duplicate photo >colors > brightness: 29 / constrast: 24 > filter > soft glow: radius 6.4/ brightness .39/ sharpness .60 (Save here for edit #1)
    (continue editing)
    add transparency layer > fill with ivory (f2eab7) > overlay 70.1 > eraser tool > erase layer over eyes
    open duplicate layer: Dodge/burn tool> burn over eyes >color picker > pick color on out edge of iris on left eye > pencil tool > opacity 14 > small pixel > fill in missing rim on left eye > select white > brush over highlights to enhance them (save for edit #2)

    edit #1: http://s2.photobucket.com/albums/y10/mikeandsheri4/?action=view&current=quinnedit1.jpg
    edit #2: http://s2.photobucket.com/albums/y10/mikeandsheri4/quinnedit2.jpg

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm afraid I have no advice as I'm less skilled than you. I'm just impressed that you're focusing on this and willing to learn and improve. Maybe I can eavesdrop here and pick up a few tips!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like you did great......very cute, and the edit is nice....I love babies in b&w!

    ReplyDelete
  5. ok, well not technically b&w....lol.... more of a muted tone, but very cute none the less!

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow thats an amazing edit. Im jealous! was this done on elements?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am trying to learn my way around Lightroom, and I stink! I need to really dedicate some time to learning it. What are you using?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the edit - the eyes are fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The last one is great! Amazing what a little editing can do!

    ReplyDelete

I'm tickled you dropped by! Leave a link to your email or webpage so I can respond. Thanks for chatting!


The moment a child is born, the mother is also born. She never existed before.
The woman existed, but the mother, never. A mother is something absolutely new.
~Rajneesh