The most sacred thing is a child's innocence;
his trust the most inviolate.
~ KN

winn's window / koreen photography

My photo
I'm a hobbyist photographer, a school counselor, a health junkie, and a mom. But above all, I'm just a woman living my truth. My biggest happiness in life is to savour each moment while it happens. That's all. That's everything.

Thursday, July 10, 2008

Don't Stop And Smell The Flowers

My son refers to himself as "The Boy", so I will respect his wishes and also call him that here.

I'm not trying to potty-train The Boy. I was going to try, but it became painfully evidently clear that it will not work. He is not ready. Neither am I. To start with, I know nothing of potty-training as I've never done this before. I have read all the books, listened to all the advice, and taken all the criticism I choose to. I still have no clue. The Boy is not ready. He told me so as he was crouched as far behind our wood-pellet stove as possible: face red, veins popping, eyes squinched shut. "Do you need to go poo?" I asked him casually and suavely as I edged closer, looking for a limb to grab so I could, smoothly and in full control of the situation, rip off his diaper and kick the potty underneath him. "NO!" This was more of a primal grunt than his usual rebel yell. Hence, I deduce: not ready.

Not ready, but apparently wanting the freedom that potty-training comes with. It's been hot and muggy here, too much for an active little toddler to take. So I stripped him down, sprayed him in sunblock and bug repellent, and let him rip around the yard. (We live in the country with no neighbours closeby.) I was puttering around, distracted by the beautiful weather when suddenly my attention was caught.

"What are you doing?"

"I water flowers."

Don't stop and smell the flowers. At least, not in our yard.

3 comments:

  1. Bwah ha ha ha!! Apparently, that is one of the best ways to potty-train. Minus the flowers, of course.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh that's funny. I have a boy too, he's 22 months and already an expert tantrum thrower. I look forward to more stories.

    Avreagemom sent me :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for stopping by, kitty. It's good to hear about other moms and their stories about short people. :)

    ReplyDelete

I'm tickled you dropped by! Leave a link to your email or webpage so I can respond. Thanks for chatting!


The moment a child is born, the mother is also born. She never existed before.
The woman existed, but the mother, never. A mother is something absolutely new.
~Rajneesh