The most sacred thing is a child's innocence;
his trust the most inviolate.
~ KN

winn's window / koreen photography

My photo
I'm a hobbyist photographer, a school counselor, a health junkie, and a mom. But above all, I'm just a woman living my truth. My biggest happiness in life is to savour each moment while it happens. That's all. That's everything.

Thursday, January 27, 2011

Night Wakens


Transitions are hard. Just ask my son. Bedtime is the worst.

At least for him.

Sunrising... some of the most beautiful light in the universe. A new day - ready to be made into whatever you make of it.

Sunsetting.. soft light reaching out long delicate fingerlings, heralding the approach of a soothing restful night. Some of my favorite times of day.

Sunrise, sunset. I love them both. I love the angles of light, the shadows, the curves they expose and the darkness they shed.

sooc:

Evening light


edit:

Wake up, Night.


final edit:

Soft dusk


No time for a tutorial today. Simply this: I used Ashley's high pass filter, adjustment layer masks, and noise reduction in addition to my own set of parlour tricks to further boost contrast and color and, most importantly, sparkle. The first edit ended up a bit dark, so I eased up on it and I think the final edit keeps the all-important sparkle but conveys the oncoming night. Personally? I like them both.

Update: this sooc photo was taken at a time in the late afternoon-early evening when the light fades so quickly that moments after this shot was taken it was mostly dark. It looks lighter than it really was. Overexposed. The settings on my camera actually lightened the scene because I was trying to make the most of the light and catch the last rays. To clarify: the sun was setting, which begins my night, and I love every moment of this time of day.



**************************

Taken with my Canon Rebel XSi, and edited with PS Elements.


20 comments:

  1. I love your final edit - I was shocked when I saw your SOOC shot that it was still so light, but I think your edit brings out what your eyes saw! Love that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW!! Your final edit is GORGEOUS! It's brought...everything out!! I love love love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. your final edit is SPOT ON!!!! great job!!! love it! i love your work :0)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stunning. I was really thrilled that you enhanced the shadows -- my favorite part of the photo along with the sparkling fresh snow.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A lovely, lovely post to accompany a lovely, lovely photo and edits! And you're right...the perfect combination of sparkle, shadow, and light!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh both are really nice. The first edit is full of drama with the dark and neutral color but the sunflare adds a ton...then the second you can still see the glisten-yness of the snow! You couldn't go wrong with either. But I gotta say your original was gorgeous too! Nice eye!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love what you've done! It really looks much more like what you probably saw with your eyes. And I love how the snow is sparkling and glistening with the last rays of the sun - just beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the glitter of the snow. It's my favorite part about a fresh layer of snow!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You know, I wondered how you were going to be able to improve on the SOOC, but I really like what you did. I almost never try to darken my pictures, but by editing it in this way, you've managed to really emphasize the light while also conveying the time of day that it was.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love how even though you darkened the pic, it still stayed pretty light. I love how you captured the sun flare and how it was still so prominent in the edit.

    Have a great night!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gorgeous! Your final edit makes it so much more dramatic. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the drama in the sky & the contrast...GREAT edit! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wonderful edit. The contrast of the final edit emphasizes the sun light and rays nicely.

    ReplyDelete
  14. YOur final edit is gorgeous! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Really nice shot - you did a wonderful job with the edit. I love the sparkles in the snow!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow, you really brought back the sky and the texture of the snow. Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Transitions ARE hard.
    Shadows make great photo subjects, don't they?

    ReplyDelete
  18. WOW! You are like the editing Queen! Great job!

    ReplyDelete

I'm tickled you dropped by! Leave a link to your email or webpage so I can respond. Thanks for chatting!


The moment a child is born, the mother is also born. She never existed before.
The woman existed, but the mother, never. A mother is something absolutely new.
~Rajneesh