The most sacred thing is a child's innocence;
his trust the most inviolate.
~ KN

winn's window / koreen photography

My photo
I'm a hobbyist photographer, a school counselor, a health junkie, and a mom. But above all, I'm just a woman living my truth. My biggest happiness in life is to savour each moment while it happens. That's all. That's everything.

Thursday, January 13, 2011

Photo Editing Without Caffeine... There Should Be A Law About That


I have an edit to do today. Here's my half-@$$ed sleepy attempt... after losing sleep the last few nights and up way too early for no reason at all. Because I have to have something to complain about, right? But on to today's thing.

The edit. And the original. Remember this thingy? (And by the way, go check out some more great photos.)


The SOOC:

I didn't like the background, and that's really all I wanted to change. I've also been seeing a lot of composite editing lately and have wanted to try it, so... here's my first ever attempt.



I don't have many stock photos in my files of just plain winter backgrounds, so this was it. I got rid of the building and teacher (she's really super nice but kids still wanna have fun without the adults around, right?) and put in this shrubbery type thing. Then I incorporated some of the editing suggestions from Ashley at Ramblings and Photos. I did a few more tone and levels adjustments, and voila.

I like it. In a totally surreal kind of way. To me, it looks a little fake, almost like a magazine ad. So does that mean it looks professional? I think so. But only in the most amateur unprofessional way. Because that's how I do it.

(Update: My next post shows how I did it.)


**************************

Taken with my Canon Rebel XSi, and edited with PS Elements.




45 comments:

  1. Wow! Love it!! this picture conveys such feeling and exuberance. Nice crop and colors. Overall winner of a shot!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love how you made the colors pop! And I'm impressed for a first attempt. Mine wouldn't look nearly as good! (And thanks for stopping by my blog!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it's STUNNING!! You did an amazing job! btw, I also like your header image! (OK, enough with the exclamation marks!:))

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow this is great. you have really turned a simple snapshot into a beautiful photo. great job. i love how the colors pop.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your title made me laugh! great contrast pop

    ReplyDelete
  6. A.M.A.Z.I.N.G.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Seriously....I can't believe the transformation! Thank you for your comments at my blog too! Have a happy day....with caffeine!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very very cool. I love what you have done with this. wow.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm loving what you did with the color and contrast. The background swap is cool too, but the other changes would have made that an great picture no matter what! Love your stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh wow - that is so cool. It looks like it was meant to be that way all along. You've done a brilliant job!

    ReplyDelete
  10. WOW!!! This is amazingly beautiful!!! Great edit. I am in love with it! You rocked it, even without caffeine! Hopefully, by now, you've had some coffee!!! xo

    ReplyDelete
  11. Go you... you amateur, unprofessional, professional! I think it's awesome and doesn't look fake at all. I've never even attempted anything like that.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think it looks GREAT! I'm hoping to be able to learn enough about PSE to be able to do things like this!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow..Amazing. I love the effect you created!

    ReplyDelete
  14. OH MY GOODNESS!!!!! I love this! You did an amazing job! I totally want to know how you did it! Can you send me a link for a good tutorial on this?

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is amazing - love this edit - the bright colors - the background is perfect for this photo!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow I love how you did this - straight out a magazine look for sure with me!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Um ! WOW! That is brilliant! You did wonderfully in making it look natural!

    ReplyDelete
  18. wow, fabulous. What a fun shot. I'm totally working the professional in an amateur sort of way :) love it!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh my goodness! this shot and edit is AMAZING!!! Great job and such a fun picture!

    ReplyDelete
  20. LOL! I love how you write! :D

    Your edit is whimsical yet very cool. I love how their faces are what catches my eye in your edit.

    ReplyDelete
  21. WOW you ROCK! great color pop and edit

    ReplyDelete
  22. That right there is AWESOMENESS!! Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  23. The crisp quality of that shot is incredible!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love the crispness of this photo! Great editing.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Amazing this is your first composite because it's awesome! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I guess I shouldn't say the same exact thing as my daughter who already commented - but OH MY GOODNESS that is amazing!!!! I love it!!!

    Your rock at editing - seriously!!!! I would love to know how you did this one :-)

    Blessings,
    Jill
    http://fnaphotography.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  27. That was excellent! The edit looked very real! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  28. WOW! This is fantastic! The color pop and cropping is amazing on it's own, but the background swap really takes it to a whole new level! Oh how I long to be able to do stuff like this someday! Thanks for visiting my blog and the sweet comment on my photo edit!

    Jeana
    inplaceofhercrown.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  29. Wow! I was SO not expecting that when I scrolled down past your SOOC! Excellent! :)

    ReplyDelete
  30. Wow! That is really so very cool! Love everything about it. Great work for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  31. This is so fun! I love how the kids are now freely running in the snow and the colors are so much brighter. :)

    ReplyDelete
  32. WOW! The background makes all the difference - it definitely looks like it was meant to be that way. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  33. First of all, I totally relate to the title of your post. But your edit is awesome! I not seen the SOOC shot, I'd have never known. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  34. um wow. that looks amazing and SOOOO real and detailed! I would of never guessed the background was changed! good job!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Wow! Look at you! Most of what I've seen are simple edits and you totally cut apart yours and make it a whole new picture! Amazing job!! It almost looks natural/sooc!!

    ReplyDelete
  36. I love how the kids pop! What a fun edit!

    And thanks for stopping by. =)

    ReplyDelete
  37. love the editing and how you changed the background!! great job!

    ReplyDelete
  38. Wow! Great edit! Changing the background was cool. I'm gonna have to learn how to do that!

    ReplyDelete
  39. For anyone with school age children, this photo captures "winter" perfectly. You did not disappoint with this edit, my friend. I love that you changed the background and decided to edit out the teacher. If I had seen the final shot first, I don't think I would have known you changed the background.

    ReplyDelete
  40. Really impressive edit!! Love everything about it!!

    ReplyDelete
  41. Oh wow, wow, wow! What an awesome edit! It looks fabulous... :)

    ReplyDelete
  42. I think it looks just like the real deal!! This is a great edit :D I love all the action in the shot.

    ReplyDelete

I'm tickled you dropped by! Leave a link to your email or webpage so I can respond. Thanks for chatting!


The moment a child is born, the mother is also born. She never existed before.
The woman existed, but the mother, never. A mother is something absolutely new.
~Rajneesh