The most sacred thing is a child's innocence;
his trust the most inviolate.
~ KN

winn's window / koreen photography

My photo
I'm a hobbyist photographer, a school counselor, a health junkie, and a mom. But above all, I'm just a woman living my truth. My biggest happiness in life is to savour each moment while it happens. That's all. That's everything.

Monday, November 16, 2009

Dad

I just realized that today is the anniversary of my dad's death.

Strange, how I've thought about it all week, and now (10 pm) is the first time today....

He died a long time ago. I've lived more than half my life without him.
Not only have I forgotten what it's like to have a dad, I've also gotten to the point that I'd rather not know.

So much time has passed that those things that I've forgotten are now becoming fresher in my mind... almost remembering more things and things more clearly now. (Like the older adults who can't remember what they had for breakfast or when their yoga class is, but can see clearly the numbers of their freshman school locker combination or first-ever-date Ed's phone number.)

It's sad, thinking about time passing and bringing me closer to my eventual end, which I see as peacefully passing on in my sleep... unaware, unstressed, unplanning (that is, if I knew I was going to die I'd be rushing around making preparations and getting organized and doing everything myself. Which doesn't leave a lot of room for the unawareness and unstressed, and definitely not the peacefulness of it).

Not that it's about me or anything. Except it kind of is. After all, I was only

14.

A kid.

A kid who was lost and isolated and hadn't found her place in the world
(and wouldn't for another 14 years).

I wasted the next three years in mourning. Deep mourning.
There was biblical mourning during this endeavour complete with the wailing and the gnashing of the teeth, and I did contemplate sackcloth to pour ashes on and rend, but I didn't know exactly what it was and couldn't find enough empty potato sacks to use.

Many nights crying to sleep. Many depressing days. Much numbness. And much anger towards another family member who made it all about her. There was also my annoying bitterness, sarcasm and lashing out at those around me.

And the getting sent away to a boarding academy so that my family wouldn't have to deal with my grief
(and anger and lashing out).

But I started healing.
I started to recover, with a lot of guilt for feeling better.

But let me tell you, the healing takes a long time. Long after the mourning and the missing of the deceased is over, long after you remember all those things that you wish you could have said and didn't, what you could've done and didn't, and that turns to guilt and fresh sorrow.

Then, years later, as you're piecing the jagged edges of your well-used heart together you find strange emotions coming out. Like anger, disappointment, resentment, blame, disgust, bitterness... and it's all towards someone who cannot defend himself, who tried his best, was caught in a situation beyond his means and understanding and coping skills. Someone who was trying to make it month to month and year to year.

Until he found out he needed to focus on day to day...
moment to moment.
Until they were gone.

I can say he tried.
There was a mellowing about him that was as poignant as his frailty, as his body wasting away.
And then he was gone.

And so was a part of me that I'm still looking for.



Good-bye Dad.


11 comments:

  1. A beautiful post...I'm sorry you had to go through that at such a young age, but it sounds like you've achieved some peace about it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry hun. Hugs to you on this day. (or yesterday... sorry I missed it...)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Alot of love coming your way.
    It is sometimes strange how we go through all these things to come out with a clearer outlook on life.Lost my dad 36 years ago and I now look back and think of wonderful things we did together or said to each other.
    Big Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  4. How moving, and how true!! Love to you in your journey:) Thanks for sharing the ride:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. my dad's been gone 4 years. I miss him terribly. He was a hero in my life and was big strong and healthy to the day he died. It was such a shock when he died. No matter how or when they leave us--I think it must be hard and weighs on the heart for many years.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I cried as I read this...I'm so sorry today is such a monumental day of sad for you...

    my neice and nephew lost my brother (their father) 2 years ago.... nephew was then 16, neice was then 9.... very hard to imagine how their lives are without him. Mine is miserable, and he was my brother and I had him for 33 years.

    big hugs ---- super gigantic big hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey K, I didn't know about your dad. I knew he had died but I didn't realize you were 14. All the office banter and facebook chatter, but I never heard much of your life story. Thanks for sharing. Hugs to you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, my friend *hugs* Just sending you some love, is all.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a poignant post...thanks so much for sharing. We lost my Dad 6 years ago, and the little things just start me remembering. I baked a pie the other day and thought of him. I read an article in the newspaper and wanted to share. Sounds like your Dad was a special one!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm not sure where to start....

    Sometimes you can be so surprised by someone you thought you had a feel for....I am sorry that we never had a chance to talk about this stuff in the "early days" of chillin' / freakin'.

    I am amazed at your blending of prose and poetry. I am amazed at the provocative nature of what you have done here. You almost made me cry (and I say that without joking...for once). That's for sharing (like Hemingway would say) the one true thing you really knew.

    It was sad and beautiful all at the same time. But I'm not just giving you "marks" on your writing skills, I hope you realize.

    I guess, to a degree, I almost feel like I should say "I'm sorry"....truly sorry...not just for your loss, but for the fact that I was so dense back then, so "lost in space", that I never took the time to "get the facts". Maybe you wouldn't have given them. But maybe I didn't try hard enough. Not sure...

    Thanks for sharing, though. If this is any indication of what you do on a regular basis....well, let's just say I'm really looking forward to doing some more browsing....

    Peace.
    You know who this is.

    PS I never did tell you that the SCC concert you surprised me with was truly one of the nicest gifts anyone has ever given me....(so, thank you)

    ReplyDelete

I'm tickled you dropped by! Leave a link to your email or webpage so I can respond. Thanks for chatting!


The moment a child is born, the mother is also born. She never existed before.
The woman existed, but the mother, never. A mother is something absolutely new.
~Rajneesh