The most sacred thing is a child's innocence;
his trust the most inviolate.
~ KN

winn's window / koreen photography

My photo
I'm a hobbyist photographer, a school counselor, a health junkie, and a mom. But above all, I'm just a woman living my truth. My biggest happiness in life is to savour each moment while it happens. That's all. That's everything.

Friday, February 26, 2010

The Changing Shape of Things


I have a new shape in my life: new glasses. See?

Photobucket

The drivers of Nova Scotia will be thrilled. Before these glasses, when everything was slightly blurred and flattened (due to astigmatism), did I ever slow down or drive cautiously? Um, does anyone know anything at all about me? I drive the way I drive. Which was shaped primarily by the freeways of Los Angeles.

But now that everything is sharp and in focus and actually 3D (and even a bit HD) I can see and truly appreciate the terror on other drivers' faces as I violently careen around these country roads.

The shape of my life is also changing. I'm a very superstitious person when it comes to the dreaded Jinx, so I'm taking a risk here. But after the last few weeks I've had, I can't see how it can get much worse. (There, I went ahead and set off the jinx. Darn it all to heck!) Oh well, you see how I can't win? Here it is:

The house thing fell through. It wasn't meant to be. Yes, this house we're living in is selling (knock on wood for me, y'all, m'kay?), but we're not buying a new house. That is, not yet. The time has come, in fact, to say goodbye to the east and head west. It's a decision I've thought about for years, knowing it would come, knowing I would have to make it. The time is now -- the "someday" is now. The future has happened. This is tomorrow. (Okay, I'm overdoing it a bit here, aren't I? Let's just move on...)

This is a complicated situation, but the end result is that it's for the best for all of us. Evan will have a hard go of it, starting over, leaving beloved ones behind and making new friends. I'm not diminishing that by any means, but ... for me, I'm going home to the west... back to where I'm from... sort of. The exact location has yet to be decided, but there's no rush; we still have 6 weeks to figure something out.

We need to have a change of scenery, for our family's health, and for my health. The frequency, duration and intensity of the weather in the maritimes have reduced me to a cowering, shaking, migraine-suffering repository of storm-induced anxiety and excruciating pain. Not being in so much pain equals not being so grumpy and grouchy which equals being a nicer mummy to Evan. Win-win here.

I guess it wouldn't have been so bad if the 26 weeks of unendurable weather (my rough estimate, give or take a few months) were all crammed into one portion and I could vacation elsewhere during that time. But no. Life isn't easy like that. It's pretty much every other day here; the barometric pressure changes daily and with it my pain. Just when there's a days respite and I'm starting to feel better, there's another storm headed in and the following day flattens me like a squirrel on the road into town. (Sorry, little squirrel. I didn't see you in time.) But I don't want to spend my time here complaining. All I'm saying is that I didn't feel like this in either earthquake country or tornado country.

So, we're outta here. But we're together, my boy and I. So I'm happy with that, and all the wonderful adventures that await. In the meantime, I have to sell everything, my house and all that's in it, in only 6 weeks.

So, my point is, knock on wood for us. Please?

17 comments:

  1. Good luck. I know it is a lot of stress but it sounds like it will be a good change.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Wow, wow, wow! That's quite an adventure you are about to embark on. I've done the cross country thing many times and I know it's not easy, but there is an element of fun and adventure to it as well. Your little guy will be okay, they bounce back so well when they are that young. I'm excited for you and look forward to living vicariously through you for a while. (I'd give anything to move back to the Northwest, although I imagine you are heading further south.)
    BTW... the glasses look great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the new glasses. And what a powerful symbol of being able to see the future clearly, of knowing where you're headed. Congrats on your decision! Knocking wood for you now ...

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW WOW WOW!!!

    Amazing changes.... I hope everything goes with ease!

    ReplyDelete
  5. When I first starting reading, I thought you might be moving to the west of the province, then I read on and see that is not the case... your one brave chickie!

    All the best of luck to you and Evan on your new journey. I'm looking forward to reading all about your new adventures in your new home town. You will be keeping up with the blog, wont you?

    ps. Love the self portrait!

    ReplyDelete
  6. (Knock, knock, knock - fingers crossed - prayers and hugs for you both!) Wow! What an adventure! Change is scary but there is so much growth in it. Best of luck to you - but I'm so glad the internet keeps us close so we can hear all about your journey!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Okay, I deleted my previous comment because there was a typo I just couldn't stand to leave there...
    But what I had said was I am honestly very jealous! I want to move home too!
    But I know how much work moving across country is, so I wish you luck! Thinking of you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow.... so much! First, I love the glasses ;)
    But wow! I'm so excited for you, and anxious for you only because that's so much to do. But you can do it! Wish I could come help! Congrats on the decision, that's the biggest and hardest part!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow. I'm so happy for you! Where are you going???!! I want to know :)! Well, as soon as you know....

    ReplyDelete
  11. How exciting! And love the glasses.

    Nell

    ReplyDelete
  12. oh good luck--I'll be thinking of you :)

    love the glasses

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love your new glasses! That is my favorite shape... my hubby just got two new pairs like that and he is now exactly 75% more alluring to me because of them. ;)

    Wow. I went through a huge move for my family's "health" recently and even though it was terrifying and a huge amount of work-- it was completely worth it. Good luck to you and in everything that you have to and want to accomplish!

    ReplyDelete
  14. we moved every 4 years of my childhood--and I've never felt too bad about it. Your son will be just fine. And your new glasses? ROCK!

    ReplyDelete
  15. quite the adventure! glad you will be able to see it clearly now.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Those glasses suit you! I like them! I also love your freckles, by the way.

    Congrats on your house selling--that is GREAT in today's economy! And maybe you just haven't found the perfect space for you yet...I'm sure you will. Sending positive thoughts!

    ReplyDelete

I'm tickled you dropped by! Leave a link to your email or webpage so I can respond. Thanks for chatting!


The moment a child is born, the mother is also born. She never existed before.
The woman existed, but the mother, never. A mother is something absolutely new.
~Rajneesh