The most sacred thing is a child's innocence;
his trust the most inviolate.
~ KN

winn's window / koreen photography

My photo
I'm a hobbyist photographer, a school counselor, a health junkie, and a mom. But above all, I'm just a woman living my truth. My biggest happiness in life is to savour each moment while it happens. That's all. That's everything.

Sunday, February 28, 2010

Packing Up the Memories


I've been a little busy lately. That's my excuse... why I've taken almost no photos at all over the last week. So what have I been squandering my precious photo-taking time on? A little thing called organizing and packing for a major cross-country move.

In only 6 weeks.

The difficulty doesn't just lie in the fact that I'm doing this by myself... it also lies in how I'm doing it. I'm not "packing and moving". No, I've done that before... more times than I care to count. Cross-country moves are the biggest way of blowing a huge amount of cash completely unnecessarily. And more likely than not things get broken. So why pay for one's crappy old stuff to be relocated and broken? That's my thinking. Therefore: no packing and moving.

I'm just getting rid of everything (selling, donating, garbaging). That is, everything but personal items and the absolutely unreplaceable.

This presents the difficulty -- sifting through every single item that has found a home here, and making the choice to keep or discard. It's a lot more time-consuming and work than it sounds.

Memories. That's what this all boils down to. How to get rid of only the nonessential and keep what's important? What really is important enough to keep? (I guess it's good that this is my only full-time job, because I'd be a basket-case if I also had to work.) My brain is fried. I'm taking a break long enough to document this moment in my life.

Sorting through the memories
Memories

And now, back to the grindstone.

That's right, WackyMummy. Suck it up, princess, and git 'er done!

********************************

Go see what everyone else is up to at Weekly Winners, hosted by the ever-talented Lotus.

Weekly Winners Information

21 comments:

  1. Good luck with all the packing and sorting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful composition, love the little sand feet !

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those little feet are so cute!
    Good luck with the packing and with the move. I'm sure you have a million things on your brain right now, be sure to stop and take time for you along the way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You know, every time I get to the end of the move and start unpacking, there's always a moment where I wonder, "WHY! did I drag THAT across country!" Hope you do a better job of sorting than I do! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful photo! Good luck with your packing

    ReplyDelete
  6. Moving is the worst job. Good luck to you!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was thinking, "Wow. I hope she's not working, too; I'd lose my mind!" I think your packing philosophy is a good one.

    Oh, and for the record, the snowman headphones was my idea (I'm not a total party pooper, haha.)

    ReplyDelete
  8. That sounds very difficult, indeed. The immersion in the memories should be interesting - you may get some great ideas for posts while you go along. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hugs.
    That's so difficult but, oh those little feet.
    I'm with Lotus, immerse yourself in it.. you never know what'll come from it.
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good luck, I don't think I want to be in your shoes, but it 'll all be worth it in the end!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What an enormous job ahead of you! Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That's got to be exhausting, mentally. But also freeing, and cleansing.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh, I know this feeling. Best to you and your road ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I hate moving! And the furthest we've ever moved was 5 hours.

    Have fun and best wishes!

    ReplyDelete
  15. what a great shot and I agree cross country moves are the worse. We have done it several times when hubs was in the service. ((hugs))

    ReplyDelete
  16. i don't envy you that move. and sifting through memories ... sigh, such a bittersweet task. hugs. and best of luck with the move.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh the footprints on top just get to you!Precious. Best of luck with the move!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I just knocked on wood, don'tcha worry :)

    good luck with the move- may it be a purifying (read stressless) experience for you! I saw you won the Picnik subscription over on Beth's Blog and wanted to say congratulations!!! I love love love using Picnik on my photos and hey- look on the bright side- it won't be hard to pack ;)

    ReplyDelete
  19. There is something so invigorating about a good purge. Of course, I'm not being made to do one right now...

    ReplyDelete
  20. A wonderful photo. I am sending "moving" vibes your way lady. I hope your move brings you great adventure and happiness!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Good luck. I have done this so many times.

    ReplyDelete

I'm tickled you dropped by! Leave a link to your email or webpage so I can respond. Thanks for chatting!


The moment a child is born, the mother is also born. She never existed before.
The woman existed, but the mother, never. A mother is something absolutely new.
~Rajneesh