The most sacred thing is a child's innocence;
his trust the most inviolate.
~ KN

winn's window / koreen photography

My photo
I'm a hobbyist photographer, a school counselor, a health junkie, and a mom. But above all, I'm just a woman living my truth. My biggest happiness in life is to savour each moment while it happens. That's all. That's everything.

Thursday, May 20, 2010

Birds!


It's been busy around here. There's so much to do -- playing at the parks, playing at the house, running around doing errands, random road trips to get a car for me (yay!), taking pictures, and especially, enjoying the sunshine. We get out and do stuff. It's awesome.

Here's what we do: photograph water birds and stuff.

Red-wing blackbird

I learned that the red-wing blackbird spreads his wings to sing. Who knew?

Belting out the hits

He likes to feed the birds. It's just what he does. I have no explanation for absolutely how adorable and cute that is. Luckily, you can see for yourself. I just can't decide which is cuter, the cuddly baby geese or my cuddly baby boy.

Feeder of goslings

The baby geese are fluffier, but the mama goose doesn't like it when I try to cuddle and hug and kiss them all over. At least, I imagine she doesn't. I don't dare try because, well.... I'm terrified of birds. It's probably a good thing I have a zoom lens.

Gaggle of goslings

And lets not talk about how much a gang of grownup geese scared my boy when they started fighting over the food inches away from us, stretching their necks out and hissing at each other, spreading their wings to intimidate. Oh, wait... that was me who was scared. And yes, I got caught in the crossfire and was struck by a goose wing. Turns out, I survived.



************************************

Beth is featuring Depth of Field today at I Should Be Folding Laundry.

Photobucket

24 comments:

  1. I had to deal with scary geese to get my shot as well! They are feisty!!! Great shots.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yup, have to chime in - geese and swans for that matter are scary. They seem so harmless. LOL-
    Ducklings are my fave.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh geese are SOOO mean and scary.

    Your photography's amazing! Nice zoom lens too, btw. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not to fond of live birds, but I love pictures of them!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah, geese aren't the friendliest are they? I'm glad their offspring are so adorable. Love these!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That last photo is so sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Geese can be pretty aggressive--but so can those red-winged blackbirds (I've been dive-bombed working too close to their nests--scary!). but a fun-fact for you: each male red-winged black bird you see has 6-7 females nearby in his "territory." Cool, eh?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm glad to see that there are still some Canada geese actually in Canada! I was beginning to think they were all in VA.
    I'm not exactly fond of birds and I am petrified of feeding geese, because they are so darn greedy and angry when you run out! But they are nice to look at and take pictures of.

    I love the shot of the blackbird with his wings out. Great capture!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love taking pictures of animal, you have a great eye!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Add me to the camp who loves to watch birds - from afar. And yes, geese can be scary! I've witnessed a few hissing matches - not fun!

    ReplyDelete
  11. adult geese are very aggressive when babies are around. I have been them take on a car.
    but the pic is worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. LOVE the pictures! You are getting better and better! And you were great to start out with!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Geese can really throw down, can't they? One attacked my pants leg over Christmas, and I don't know that I'll ever completely get over it!

    They sure are cute and fluffy from a distance though. Gorgeous shots. =>

    ReplyDelete
  14. That shot of the bird with his wing out is just great.

    ReplyDelete
  15. The one with the spread wings is great!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow...what a pretty bird! And those goslings are so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great photos! Aren't the redwinged blackbirds fun! You did a great job capturing them and the geese are good too. The cutest of all though is your "cuddly baby boy"!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love your pics. Amazing. Yes birds CAN be scary! :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. You are very brave! I'm not much of a bird fan myself!

    I love your captures of the red-wing blackbirds. We have a lot of those around here, and I never knew they spread their wings to sing!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I discovered your blog on the You Capture link up. I wanted to tell you about The Happiness Project over at my Blog. It's simple, every Tuesday you just post a photo of something that makes you wildly happy. It's been so rewarding to meditate each week on what brings me happiness. I would like invite you to join and link up to Mr. Linky. I am trying to take over the Blogosphere with happiness!

    Here is a link to today's round up if you want to check it out!

    http://leighvslaundry.blogspot.com/2010/05/happiness-project-week-13.html

    ReplyDelete

I'm tickled you dropped by! Leave a link to your email or webpage so I can respond. Thanks for chatting!


The moment a child is born, the mother is also born. She never existed before.
The woman existed, but the mother, never. A mother is something absolutely new.
~Rajneesh