The most sacred thing is a child's innocence;
his trust the most inviolate.
~ KN

winn's window / koreen photography

My photo
I'm a hobbyist photographer, a school counselor, a health junkie, and a mom. But above all, I'm just a woman living my truth. My biggest happiness in life is to savour each moment while it happens. That's all. That's everything.

Monday, May 10, 2010

On Being A Goose

I'm doing more to reconnect with the present, the now, the here within which I find myself. Click here to find out more about Five for Ten with Momalom.


******************

I'm going to start this note by going back a little. So please bear with me.

This blog started as a way to reconnect with myself, to find the lost parts of myself I had misplaced and even forgotten about. I mean, when you've lost something, you don't even realize it's lost until you need it and go looking for it, right?

I found out I was misplaced. Huh.

Motherhood created a new focus and direction in my life, and before long, I had embraced it so fully (and was dealing with all sorts of the fun and not-so-fun things that happened to go along with it) that I left a part of myself behind.

I love being my boy's mummy. He's a wonderfully real boy. He's got the humor and good looks and charm and curiosity and mischievousness of any little boy. He's also got twice the energy and stubbornness and fortitude of most people I know. Including me. My mini-me.

The past few years of writing down the drivel that pops in and disturbs the dust bunnies between my ears has forced me to reach more intently for myself. And, as with all other things I attempt, I go overboard. You could say I succeeded. You could also say to back off and stop thinking about myself so much. You would be right. Time to refocus again.

I'm going through a dry spell... not so much written down, but that's not because I've got nothing to say. No, I have words in my head all day forming sentences and topics and themes and even anecdotes. But when it comes to sharing them, I find I've pulled into myself and don't want to share so much. Maybe it has something to do with another move and starting over again... bringing up memories of my childhood when I faced move after move to new towns, meeting new people, starting new schools, only to drop everything and leave it all behind. Including my heart and dreams. (And this is before email and the internet and cheap long-distance plans, so it was hard to stay in touch with friends for long.) I didn't want to make that emotional investment anymore. I pulled in, didn't reach out much... tested the waters slowly. Only when I was sure it was safe would I come out of my shell. Only to be hit upside the head with relocating yet again. (Some warning would have been nice, parental units.) Bring on the social PTSD.

And that brings us back to the present. I'm a nomad. I move around. It's in my blood now. But here I'm not so much a turtle in my shell as a silly goose.

Silly goose

That's me. Silly goose. Splashing around, looking cute, making a lot of noise, only to retreat when someone approaches. Not the best way for a new start.

Not very courageous. But isn't that where it all starts? With where one is? And while I might be a silly goose, I've now got my precocious goofy gosling with me to keep me focused.

Being Evan

It's a nice balance -- it's a little of him, and some of me.

He gives me an excuse, a reason for trying new things. For reaching out. For connecting. And now, for reconnecting.

He helps give me courage.


19 comments:

  1. Thank god for kids... honestly. The make us so much more than we are. I totally understand... we moved a lot as kids, and my parents continue to do so... and I struggle with that and each move we make w/ the kids.
    You're doing an amazing job, your strenghth amazes me :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad your silly gosling is helping you get balanced. I know I am more social because of my kids.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post.
    Many of the people in my day to day life have come from my two boys...and I know that some of them are just that...my friends for now...because of the boys. But there are others that I know will be life long friends that were gifted to me because of my boys.

    Keep being couragous and putting your thoughts out there. Having a blog is a courageous thing...you put yourself out there.

    Happy Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd never leave my house, except for the constant demands and wishes of my kids. I open the door and immediately feel ill at ease.

    But you are right--we muster up our courage for them. Proud of you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Smiles and hugs to you, my friend! I love your blog... please keep writing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can relate all too well to your story. I moved around a lot as a child as well and find that it's hard for me to make deep connections because I don't want to make the emotional investment only to have to leave these people far behind. If not for my kids, I probably would never leave the house either....but man, my little guy needs it; he's much more of a social butterfly than I. Motherhood surely does give us the courage to stretch beyond our comfort zones. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm only beginning to figure out who I am outside of my mommy role. The blog is a help in that endeavor. But kids bring a whole new dimension to who I am and have helped me (on many occasions) open up to wonderful people that I might not have met if it weren't for my kids.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So, I just had a little meltdown this evening about feeling a little lost in the midst of all of this new mama-ness (I have an 8 mo old) and then came upon your post through momalom, and just had to smile. I love that no matter how unique each of our personal lives with our children are, raising them is still such a universal experience. Thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am a root placer by nature. I tend to stay put. And so it was hard for me to move to a new city while I was pregnant with my first born child. But he too gave me courage to reach out and spread my wings and create a new community. Bravo to you and your little gosling!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Kids are a great way for me to leave my comfort zone. I am learning to interact with other people in better ways because there is (usually) an instant connection (i.e. we both have kids). If it weren't for my little girl, I would rarely leave the house.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your header photo is beautiful!

    I also found out that I was misplaced after having my first daughter, and it was a lonely, overwhelming realization. I can only imagine what it's like to move on top of that. How wonderful to have someone in your life to keep you going and trying new things. We're lucky to have our kids for that.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You have captured so well what it is like to be a parent coming out of the "new parent" stage. The remembering that, HEY, there were other things you wanted to do besides having children. Just having the courage to face that reality will get you a long long way. And along that way, I have no doubt that your son will continue to give you courage, and support. Kids are amazing that way. Truly.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Good for you to be a goose! I think I'm more like that, too. Nomadic, but bound to my tribe.
    I'm glad you're finding your groove.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Some of use are ramblers and some like to stay planted in one place. I admire the ramblers; always up for a new adventure in a new place.

    "I'm going through a dry spell... not so much written down, but that's not because I've got nothing to say."... I think you are just evolving. Can't wait to see what comes next!

    Take care Wacky ♥

    ReplyDelete
  15. I think I lost my comment...if you got it, feel free to delete this one. I really love your header, it's very lovely.

    Children are the most amazing thing. What they inspired us to be and how we find ourselves through mothering them can be quite exhilirating. I'm glad you are using your blog to discover all the parts of yourself, I'm doing the same. It's not always easy, but it certainly feels good to try.

    Great to meet you here for Five for Ten!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Children have the ability to teach us, without meaning to do so. I am glad you find courage to be inspired by your son, recognizing where you are in your journey and knowing he will lead you to places that you may not go, but will anyway. It is a gift.

    ReplyDelete
  17. "This blog started as a way to reconnect with myself, to find the lost parts of myself I had misplaced and even forgotten about." I can completely relate here. I wanted to record our memories through the blog, but I also want my toddler to know me. REALLY know me. And along the way, I realized that I'm starting to get to know myself too.

    Isn't it lovely when a plan comes together like that? :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I know exactly what you mean about losing & finding yourself in motherhood. And blogging has helped me have a piece of my old & new self--it's nice! Stopping by from 5 for 10! I'm a new follower too!

    ReplyDelete

I'm tickled you dropped by! Leave a link to your email or webpage so I can respond. Thanks for chatting!


The moment a child is born, the mother is also born. She never existed before.
The woman existed, but the mother, never. A mother is something absolutely new.
~Rajneesh