I think I messed up. I set the bar too high for myself last week.
Also, my photo this week has all the elements I like, but is missing that "je ne sais quoi"... and I'm stymied.
Hmmm... (I'm actually writing this before I've completed my edit, because I'm hoping this process will stimulate some creative spark in me.)....
Here's the SOOC:
And now what to do?
I like the softness... the light... the color... the contrast... I just need to enhance that all, right?
.....
.....
.....
And this is what I came up with:
To keep it simple, here's what I did:
On Elements, I created a Levels Adjustment Layer:

I made a copy of the background layer, then added a High Pass Filter, as per Ashley's instructions... with only a radius of 15 pixels this time. (I erased it from the trees and buildings at the bottom because I didn't want to emphasize that.)
Then, a Brightness/Contrast Layer... Brightness: +17, Contrast: +11.
Then, a Gradient Map Adjustment Layer... Multiply at 23%.
Then, a Photo Filter Adjustment Layer. I chose Warming Filter (80) at 47% and put the layer's opacity at Normal and 43%. I also erased the warm mask from the blue sky to keep that purity and color.

Then, to offset the warmth and enhance the blue and red tones, I added some violet tones through a second Photo Filter Adjustment Layer. This one I set at 25% density, and used Screen mode at 100% opacity. This also helped offset the darkness of the gradient map.

Then, to created a bit more drama (I guess I really am a bit of a drama queen), I added that finishing touch: Gradient Fill Layer, just like last week, with these settings: gradient black/white; Radial style; 150% size; Reverse; 90 degree Angle. (For a the complete set of instructions regarding this layer, go to my obnoxious and long edit tips and scroll down to Step 14.)

Ok, so my actual finishing touch was my watermark which I added as a layer in Elements. I used the Eyedropper Tool, clicked on the background where I wanted the watermark to go, and made the watermark that color. Then I put that layer in Color Burn at 100% opacity.
Click on the links below to see more views of the morning.


Both beautiful but I love the edit. You found the missing link!
ReplyDeleteYou guys are ROCKING the edits and showing how you did it! Totally impressed!!!!
ReplyDeleteI love the SOOC just as much :-)
Blessings,
Jill
Wow - that turned out amazing. I might not have done anything to the original but it looks incredible.
ReplyDeleteSo gorgeous! xx
ReplyDeleteI think you did a great job on a photo that was just so good from the very begining.
ReplyDeleteIt looks great, thanks for showing us how you did it!
ReplyDeleteThat's a great edit! I can see what you mean about the colors on my edit, but the color of the necklace in the edit is actually more natural...
ReplyDeleteIt was a beautiful photograph before, but I love the edit! Great job!
ReplyDeleteWhat a beautiful sky! Great edit.
ReplyDeleteReally love the edit!
ReplyDeleteBEAUTIFUL!!! I'm loving all that I am learning from you!
ReplyDeleteI love it! Subtle changes, but it brightened it enough so the details were more visible. Great job!
ReplyDeleteYour sooc photo is so beautiful and I really love the edit.
ReplyDeleteYou did a wonderful job keeping the colors but brightening it up! Love both shots!
ReplyDeleteAnd I'm glad I'm not the only one who tries to figure out just what to do! lol!
I absolutely love what you did with the sky - beautiful!
ReplyDeleteYour edit is gorgeous! I think you did a great job enhancing your already wonderful shot. :)
ReplyDeleteTalk about perfect straight out of the camera! Gorgeous edit too & so crisp. Great explanation! :)
ReplyDeleteYour SOOC was phenomenal! And your edit was perfect. When you capture such a great shot to bein with you don't have to do much to spruce it up ! Thanks for leaving such a sweet comment for me!
ReplyDeleteOkay, I thought your SOOC was excellent ... but the edit is even better! Great job!
ReplyDeleteI've been meaning to tell you...when my teenage daughter sees me blogging she'll often ask to see "that blog with the amazing pictures." She's speaking of yours. We love to see what you come up with.
ReplyDeleteWonderful! Loved the SOOC and your edit is perfect. The colors & details are amazing. :)
ReplyDeleteLove your edit...the sky is gorgeous.
ReplyDeleteWonderful! I love it!
ReplyDeleteThanks for your sweet comment!!! ;)
Both are beautiful shots!
ReplyDeleteStunning!!!!!!!!!!
ReplyDeleteI think you found just the right touch with the editing. Not too much... just enough!
ReplyDeleteI think your edit is beautiful...love the way the sky is brighter with a bit more of a pink haze...so pretty :)
ReplyDeleteBeautiful scene and gorgeous photo!
ReplyDeleteSunshine xx
beautiful! I still can't figure out how to erase those filters and masks! any tips?
ReplyDeleteI love both of them, Koreen! Beautiful job!
ReplyDeleteWendy
Wow, that is really pretty! My only critique would be that you could have merely saturated the colors a little more instead of lightening them...it might popped a little more. But I love how the crop emphasizes the sky! Good job!
ReplyDeleteThere is much to love about the original, particularly the "threatening" feeling of the dark but vibrant clouds. In your edited version, the clouds are softer but still very beautiful. I love how you can now see the details of the rooftops and trees in the foreground. Another great edit.
ReplyDeleteI think this is the first time I've preferred the SOOC. Just me, I suppose--I like a dark and brooding sky.
ReplyDeleteThis is one of those times where I love love love the edit over the SOOC. Everything bumped up a notche just right! Thanks for the rundown too, I am beginning to learn my way around elements and hope to truly be editing in it soon!
ReplyDelete