The most sacred thing is a child's innocence;
his trust the most inviolate.
~ KN

winn's window / koreen photography

My photo
I'm a hobbyist photographer, a school counselor, a health junkie, and a mom. But above all, I'm just a woman living my truth. My biggest happiness in life is to savour each moment while it happens. That's all. That's everything.

Friday, September 25, 2009

Sunflowers of Confusion

We grew sunflowers because I thought it would be something fun for Evan to experience. I never thought they would actually grow big enough to become something.

Now, I have to figure out how to harvest them.

Also, I have to figure out how to keep Evan from harvesting the seeds before they're ready... or before I figure out how. There's a lot of confusion here.




***********************

Brought to you by Candid Carrie and her phabulous Friday Finish Foto Fiesta!

12 comments:

  1. good grief - that one is as big as his noggin!!!

    Lovely project!! Amazing learning from that sort of stuff :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. growing giant sunflowers as well as giant pumpkins was always a favorite of our children. It's ok to let him pick them out of the head prior to harvest. They taste good that way too :)

    cut the head off
    let it sit and dry for a week or so
    spend a few evenings (while watching TV or just sitting at the kitchen table) plucking out the seeds
    boil the seeds in generously salted water for about 30 minutes
    spread out on a cookie sheet and dry in a low oven, stirring now and again so that the seeds dry on all sides.
    put in a bowl and enjoy

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh and if you get tired of all the plucking it's fun to save the heads and set them out during the winter for the birds.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, I lay out our sunflower heads (chopped off the stems, of course) on planks resting across sawhorses in our garage--a few weeks later they are totally dry and I rub across the surface of the sunflower head while holding it above a bucket or empty cooler--the seeds will fall right out. This is a fun project--my sons do it with me and we bag the seeds in homemade bags and give away birdseed to relatives at Christmas--homegrown gift!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those are big sunflowers! How fun for him to experience that. Sunflowers are such are amazing thing and beautiful! Stopping by from Carries'!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, I am so impressed with your sunflowers! I have tried many times to grow them, but nope. I swear, I am not giving up, especially after seeing these giants. So cool!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sunflowers are beautiful. It looks like Evan is solving your harvesting problem all by himself.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've been trying to grow sunflowers for years...love these Superior Snaps. Thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. yay! makes me want to grow some sunflowers!

    (thanks for stopping by!)

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are such a good PHOTOGRAPHER!!!!
    ♥BEAUTIFUL♥

    ReplyDelete

I'm tickled you dropped by! Leave a link to your email or webpage so I can respond. Thanks for chatting!


The moment a child is born, the mother is also born. She never existed before.
The woman existed, but the mother, never. A mother is something absolutely new.
~Rajneesh