The most sacred thing is a child's innocence;
his trust the most inviolate.
~ KN

winn's window / koreen photography

My photo
I'm a hobbyist photographer, a school counselor, a health junkie, and a mom. But above all, I'm just a woman living my truth. My biggest happiness in life is to savour each moment while it happens. That's all. That's everything.

Monday, March 7, 2011

Waiting On Spring



Winter light -- or lack of light -- doesn't lend well to photographing anything related to spring. I need fill light... reflected light.

Taking matters into my own hands means being creative. (Not my regular state of being.)

The setup


It also means being cheap and lazy... to lazy to go anywhere to get real tools and also, too cheap to get real tools.


Lack of light leaves the focus a little less than what I'd like. But isn't that my usual complaint?

sooc
Sunflare


Also, a boy getting himself in the photo when I'm trying to be all serious and committed to the image.

sooc
Smelling


Being a photographer is a lot of hard work. I've found that it's a lot harder than it looks to capture (or create) a really good image.


It's difficult to see things a new way.

sooc
Tulip


And it's particularly difficult to see spring on a -24 celsius March morning.





18 comments:

  1. -24 oh nooooooooo now that is cold and I can see the snow outside aswell. I need to make a reflector like yours - I made a light box just over a week ago. Y

    You certainly have some lovely spring blooms indoors with your little tete a tete daffodils and tulips only I daren't stick my nose too close to one of those blooms or I'm sneezing for ages afterwards.

    Looking forward to seeing your edits.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yikes that is COLD!!! you did a great job with your sooc shots - love the boy smelling the flowers - HA!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome idea with the reflector and I love the perspective of the last shot. How cool!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know what you mean about it being hard to find Spring when it's so cold out, but you did a great job! I love your last shot best; it's such an interesting perspective on the flower bud.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just love the perspective of the last shot. Very neat!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks like you were able to bring Spring to you even if it won't cooperate outside. Love the picture of Evan taking time to smell the daffodils! :)

    I totally get what you mean about being a photographer is hard work. I'm feeling distinctly uninspired and am finding that all of my pictures right now are kind of blah, but I've felt that way before and it usually comes just before I find something new and exciting. So I'm hoping for some wonderful inspiration to strike soon. (fingers crossed.)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Crappy conditions or not, your photos are great! Love the last two!

    ReplyDelete
  8. burr!!! Oh, I'll send you some warmth! Even if ours isn't all that warm, it's loads better than -24c!!

    :)

    Great shots -- love your creativity w/ the reflector.

    Love the sunflare in the first and that you went with it and included your boy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. We got a huge dump of snow last night but ...oh man, you have me beat with -24C. Brrrrr! Love your make-shift reflector. I might just go ahead and make myself one. I love the perspective of the last shot but the sun flare image has so much potential. I'm already bracing myself for a wow moment : )

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great shots...love your creativity!
    And -24C....so cold brrrrrr

    ReplyDelete
  11. DAFFODILS! My favorite harbinger of spring. Way to force it along!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You did a great job finding spring and I love the pic of your son getting into the shot. Gosh that temp is sooo cold. I can't think when its that cold....

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the shot with your son sneaking in!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love the shot from above!!! And I just noticed you're from Central Alberta! I'm fairly Central myself!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love Evan "sticking his nose in where it doesn't belong"! Spring will be here soon, Koreen!

    Hugs,
    Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great photos. I love the perspective in the last.

    ReplyDelete

I'm tickled you dropped by! Leave a link to your email or webpage so I can respond. Thanks for chatting!


The moment a child is born, the mother is also born. She never existed before.
The woman existed, but the mother, never. A mother is something absolutely new.
~Rajneesh