The most sacred thing is a child's innocence;
his trust the most inviolate.
~ KN

winn's window / koreen photography

My photo
I'm a hobbyist photographer, a school counselor, a health junkie, and a mom. But above all, I'm just a woman living my truth. My biggest happiness in life is to savour each moment while it happens. That's all. That's everything.

Thursday, March 17, 2011

Yellow Pools To Her Fluffy Soul


I always look forward to Thursday, to the editing portion of the week. I enjoy it, and I love seeing what others have done with their photos.

BUT before we get into that, I want to ask you to go Daisuke's Story, and read it. I'll let you know right now that it's a little bit of a long read, but critically important. Daisuke is a friend with whom I attended college years and years ago. He currently lives in Iwaki, Japan where most of the earthquakes and nuclear reactor meltdowns are occurring.

Japan is a wealthy and prosperous country, but the devastation has wreaked havoc with their resources and ability to rescue the thousands upon thousands from the cold, starvation, injury and the rampant spread of disease which follows such disasters. Time is of the essence, and only additional help can keep our helpers moving and rescuing over there. They're not all strangers; they are friends.

So please, either before or after checking out my awesome edits, go and read his story.

AND for EACH of those who leave a comment or commit to a donation to help out with the rescue efforts, I will pledge a dollar IN ADDITION TO WHAT I'VE ALREADY PLEDGED. That's right, a dollar for EACH comment, over and above what I've already done. (Please don't tell my husband about this either. What he doesn't know won't hurt him.) ;)

No, it doesn't sound like much, but what if I get 500 comments? It's unlikely, but I can't take the risk of pledging more than I can afford. At the bottom of his story are links to check out how to donate to help, most of them asking for $5 or $10 amounts. Every little bit helps.

**************************

Now, on to the edits!

sooc:
IMG_0500

edit:
Doing what she does best


I have to admit, this wasn't my favorite shot, but the edit turned out better than I thought. I cropped out the ugly red box in the background, and did subtle things to the light through levels adjustments and sharpening to selected areas through the high pass filter and unsharp mask.


sooc:

IMG_0450


Straight and cropped


I had some trouble with this, and did a couple of edits to compare, mainly due to the angle. It was a fun angle, but the more I looked at it and played with it, the more confused I got. I ended up cropping quite a bit off to correct the angle, and then boosted levels and sharpness. That's all.


sooc:
IMG_0460

edit:
Inquisitive


This one was a fairly easy judgement call: crop out the ugly leg of the tripod and boost levels and sharpness.


sooc:
IMG_0459

edit:


As was this one.

Even at midnight, after following the Japan story online for two days straight (in between the activities of daily living, I mean).

And THEN for fun, I went back and added back in some of the haze, as per Ashley's tips this week, effectively undoing what I did before. Except for the first: that needed every bit of help it could get!






Sunkissed cat


Awesome.



**************************

Taken with my Canon Rebel XSi, and edited with PS Elements.






15 comments:

  1. I think each of your edits look great and I think what you're doing is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like! :D

    Your first edits are so sharp and really great... but the added sunflare/haze make them pop! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your subtle but very effective edits! Now off to read your friend's story...

    ReplyDelete
  4. My personal favorite is the first one with the first edit, but all the others are fun, too! It is fun to learn new stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I definitely like the haziness. Beautiful cat!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those are wonderful edits and your subject was very obliging for the camera.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love how you cleaned up the pics so simply, the edits only enhanced and didn't change the original. The back-lit one still is my fav! And for whatever reason, the angle of it didn't bother me, but I wasn't editing it either! lol!

    Nice job on the haze, too! It's not too distracting and makes me thing warm, summery thoughts! :) So you get an "A+" in my book! lol!

    ReplyDelete
  8. wow - those are some amazing eyes - your edits are wonderful!! I think the first is my favorite, I love the crop, I didn't even notice the red box in the SOOC

    ReplyDelete
  9. what a beautiful kitty !!!! I love your edits - especially the lighting! Looking forward to more posts!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's amazing--I'm still always impressed.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful kitty and I love your edits! I think what your doing for those in Japan is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow! Great edits!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think your shots are AWESOME...gorgeous kitty & great edits! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your edits are absolutely amazing this week! I love the lighting in them. The 2nd one with the red tassles is my favorite - it looks like something's caught her attention and she's about to go investigate.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your edits turned out wonderful! Although your SOOC shots were pretty wonderful too!

    Thanks for stopping by my blog last week! I'm just now trying to get caught up ... but better late than never, right? :)

    ReplyDelete

I'm tickled you dropped by! Leave a link to your email or webpage so I can respond. Thanks for chatting!


The moment a child is born, the mother is also born. She never existed before.
The woman existed, but the mother, never. A mother is something absolutely new.
~Rajneesh