The most sacred thing is a child's innocence;
his trust the most inviolate.
~ KN

winn's window / koreen photography

My photo
I'm a hobbyist photographer, a school counselor, a health junkie, and a mom. But above all, I'm just a woman living my truth. My biggest happiness in life is to savour each moment while it happens. That's all. That's everything.

Friday, April 3, 2009

Watch Out! She's About to Blow!!!

I'm a little angry. Not a lot. Just a little. I hate being sick. Hate it hate it hate it. I would like to put more emphasis on it, but am a little tired from the whole sick thing.

I'm not a wuss. I've had this cold for a week, and while I realize that it's not that long (for one of those long drawn-out 2 week affairs of sniffles sneezing and snot), it's more than long enough for me. I usually get sniffles for under a week, and NEVER have a cough. I simply won't allow it. (Goes back to traumatic childhood memories of hearing my dad cough for 3 years... straight... before finally succumbing to lung cancer.) And now I'm sicker than a dog. (Whatever that means.... I've never seen a sick dog, so I don't know. Now, I've seen sick cats--lot of 'em.)

But it's not that. I was finally feeling well again recently after being sick for so long. I had energy; I was gettin' stuff done... I was even kickboxing again. Well, doing some of the aerobic kickboxing exercises I used to do a long time ago. That counts for something, right? But the point is, I was better. You see, I've been "feeling unwell" for about 4 of the last 7 years... that's a long time... from this stupid fibromyalgia (or so my doctor says). From '02 through '04, and from late '06 to January '09. That's a lot. I went from being a fairly confident, energetic, interested, and active person who kickboxed and traveled regularly to someone who could barely get out of bed. (I've had symptoms of this condition since I was 19, but only experienced "life is unbearable" episodes for 4 years.) While the chronic pain was a bitch, it was the chronic fatigue that got me. And while I lost interest in doing things, it was the inertia I experienced that kicked it out of me. It was a slow decline, and I lost my ability to do things faster than my interest in doing them. So I was very confused and frustrated for a long time. I started getting better, and then "complications" of having a teething infant set off another "episode" that lasted for over 2 years.

There is no cure. There is no real treatment. There is a part of the medical community that doesn't believe it's a real condition. (There's a part of me that believes I don't even have it... that it's something else... something simple that nobody sees...) The only "treatment" that doctors (plural) have tried for me is anti-depressants. They have a theory that it helps with the same chemical reactions in the brain that contribute to the fibro. I can tell you: it doesn't work. Let me state it again just to be clear. It Does NOT Work. In fact, that "treatment" made me consistently worse; it not only worsened most of my fibro symptoms, it made me depressed. Yes, that's right, anti-depressants make me depressed. And I let the doctors try no less than 7 different ones over the years. Doesn't that say something? What kind of person gets depressed from anti-depressants? Someone who obviously doesn't need them! (Sorry. Sorry, just bitching here.)

So, yes, I'm just venting about the fact that I was finally feeling better and almost back to normal when this cold kicked me on my ass. I can't take traditional medicines for colds... anything from cough syrup to antibiotics sets off my fibro. So I can't treat cold symptoms like everyone else. I just have to use home remedies (hot lemon/honey tea, Vick's rub, and lots and lots of Advil) and wait it out. Wait and wait and wait.

I just can't wait until I kick this cold and can get back to getting myself better. That's all.
.

2 comments:

  1. You should add a slug of alcohol to the honey & lemon mix ;-)

    Actually I find a good spicy hot meal works wonders for sweating it out of you too, the spicier the better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww... Hope you get to feeling well soon! Thank you for your comment! I am just having "one of those days..."

    ReplyDelete

I'm tickled you dropped by! Leave a link to your email or webpage so I can respond. Thanks for chatting!


The moment a child is born, the mother is also born. She never existed before.
The woman existed, but the mother, never. A mother is something absolutely new.
~Rajneesh