The most sacred thing is a child's innocence;
his trust the most inviolate.
~ KN

winn's window / koreen photography

My photo
I'm a hobbyist photographer, a school counselor, a health junkie, and a mom. But above all, I'm just a woman living my truth. My biggest happiness in life is to savour each moment while it happens. That's all. That's everything.

Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Leaving Tony


In the beginning of this moving situation I'm already bogged down. I thought I was going to start out strong, and hoped I'd have some kind of momentum to carry me through, but it's harder getting started than I thought.

Especially when it seems our plans for the move change on a weekly basis. But that's another story for another day.

To take a break from the attempts at organizing and to get rid of old musty, bat-crap-covered (yes, you heard me) boxes from the attic, I thought a good old burning in the firepit was in order. Fun for Evan, and fresh air for the both of us. (Yes, we avoided the bat-shit smoke.) It was all a relaxing enjoyable time until I saw the stones marking Tony's final resting place.


Leaving Tony

It might be a silly thing, but Tony was my child before Evan. He was Chloe's "big brother", my snuggler, my companion, my comfort. He knew whenever I was sick and hovered like a worried mother. He was congenial company for all who knew him. He sat smugly and purred at those who quite obviously adored him. And there were many of those.

For the few who knew him who, after some time in his presence, would remark that Tony was frankly disconcerting to them and made them uncomfortable because the way he looked at them like he knew things. I swear he looked at me this way, too... and he did know things -- things I'll never know. He was an old soul, and possibly even a reincarnation of someone important. (And I don't even believe in reincarnation!) He was smarter than any cat I've ever met... and more stubborn.

There was a time when I berated Tony verbally, loudly, and at length for some indiscretion. I can't even remember what it was now. The following is completely true: I hurt his feelings. He refused to acknowledge me -- this, my companion, comforter, and baby -- for no less than two days, until after I sat down with him and apologized for what I said and for hurting his feelings. He gazed at me with what started out as disapproval and melted into understanding and forgiveness; that was the last of the silent treatment from him.


Photobucket


Photobucket


While he wasn't effusive in his attentions to Evan, it was his dignified companionship and tolerant personality that we adored.


Photobucket


He was accepting and affable, willing to put up with most situations.


Photobucket


For six years he was part of my family. And then he became sick. We didn't know with what -- my hands and finances were full with a baby and a progressive (although yet unrealized) fibromyalgia. I still feel guilty I didn't give him the attention he required. Whatever he had, he resembled an old man with dementia.

He forgot things. His personality changed. His agreeable tendencies quickly became irascibleness. But it came and went, so I let it go.

Until he got really bad. He was so bad I couldn't get anyone to take him, and I did the unthinkable. I took him to the vet, held his paw, and watched him go peacefully to sleep. In his final moments, he relaxed like he hadn't in months and just looked at me. His fading gaze held no condemnation for me, only understanding.

And so, standing by his stones in the backyard, realizing I'm leaving him for good, it hit me like a blast of icy air in my bones. For the first time since I started the leaving process I cried.

For Tony.

14 comments:

  1. That was one of the saddest posts and yet a fitting tribute to a wonderful companion and friend. I'm sorry that you have to leave him behind.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You brought tears to my eyes. I understand her heartache.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just remember that you aren't really leaving him behind. You are only leaving the shell. HE is actually with you in your heart.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my! Wacky, you have me in tears here :'(

    Photos and fond memories you will take with you. What Lori said... you aren't leaving him behind.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, our sweet pets. They teach us so much, don't they? Tony will be with you wherever you go.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So very sorry for you loss - He was an incredible cat..love his personality that comes through all the pictures.

    Love to you
    Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  7. I totally get that :(. Tears over here as well. It would be hard for me to leave (even the stones) behind as well.

    ReplyDelete
  8. thank goodness for memories and photo's. change is hard.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That would be a tough thing to leave behind. I'm sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm a "cat person." This post made me all goopy and teary. Tony sounds like a very special cat.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have had several cats that will forever be in my heart. Almost shocking how important they become and what a permanent loss they are when they pass.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That was very touching. If you can't love a pet, you shouldn't have one. And if you have a pet, and it passes away, there will be pain.

    That's the way of life. I think that's why we have memories -- to dull that pain, and to sweeten the heartache.

    I'm really sorry for your loss.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Pets become such a big part of our lives and families. I cried so hard when my first cat died, I thought my heart would break.

    Moving must be like losing Tony all over again. I am so sorry for your loss.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You moved me to tears with this post. I had a cat like him, and had to let her go when she was seventeen. It's never easy.

    ReplyDelete

I'm tickled you dropped by! Leave a link to your email or webpage so I can respond. Thanks for chatting!


The moment a child is born, the mother is also born. She never existed before.
The woman existed, but the mother, never. A mother is something absolutely new.
~Rajneesh