Yep, that's right; you read it correctly: It has improved my life.
Short backstory: I opened my credit card statement one day recently to find surplus charges of about $1300 for the wily month of April. "That was some month!" I thought somewhat guiltily, wondering how I was going to explain myself to the DoughMaker. "At least," I said to myself "I had some fun here." I mean, there must have been some fun... I didn't remember it. That settled it! It was Hazy Passed-Out Staggering-Around Blacked-Out Fun. Fun with a capital eff. Which actually is quite something, seeing as I don't get out.
Then, something on my statement caught my eye: there's no way I could be having fun 1200 miles away. Even I would remember THAT!
Upon telephonic investigation, which to me was a treasure hunt, I found out the following rather interesting tidbits that I just didn't know before.
There were additional charges on a more current statement, bringing the grand total to about $2200.
I own a business.
I have 2 cell phones.
I hired a financial advisor.
I have a large advertisement placed in a popular newspaper.
There are two financial institutions involved; one of these is in another country.
There is a card-swipe machine involved.
There was a possible hacking event into my computer.
My social insurance number is involved, along with the correct spelling of my name (which is actually a first), and my credit card number.
Wow! What fun! I love surprises, don't you? It's two weeks later and I'm still on the first part of what the credit reporting agencies tell me is a very long, very exciting ride. "Well, Self," I said conversationally to a very relieved conscience, "you're off the hook."
But don't despair--You too can have enhanced living with identity theft. Here's how:
1. Experiencing identity theft increased my level of daily stress, which as you know, is a heart and nerve stimulant. My overall health is now optimum, evidenced by my glistening "glow" and ever-attractive pink-toned wide-alert eyes.
2. As a stimulant, it activated my Fibro symptoms not limited to but including the IBS. No need for a colonic now!
3. My social life is improved. Not only did I receive a new real genuine visitor in uniform to interview me (I'm a celebrity!), but I get calls all the time from all over the country asking me to verify such-and-such a transaction. I've never chatted with this many people before!
4. I'm on a first-name basis with the dispatch officer of the local RCMP department. We're practically sisters now! I expect to be invited over for dinner any day.
5. It's a great conversation starter.
6. The additional tonic of the Catching-Up-With-the-Rest-of-Your-Life stress, including showering (thereby reducing the sweaty glow), re-learning how to sleep again, and the schoolwork that was due, oh, yesterday.
7. Time away from Evan, or more accurately: Me time. Son? What son? Uh oh! (((digging frantically through the clutter that has accumulated))) "Evan! Evan, where are you?!!!!" Oops. ((Oh crap!)) Ahem! Um.... gotta go!
.
The most sacred thing is a child's innocence;
his trust the most inviolate.
~ KN
winn's window / koreen photography
- koreen (aka: winn)
- I'm a hobbyist photographer, a school counselor, a health junkie, and a mom. But above all, I'm just a woman living my truth. My biggest happiness in life is to savour each moment while it happens. That's all. That's everything.
Friday, May 29, 2009
How Identity Theft Improved My Life
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
The woman existed, but the mother, never. A mother is something absolutely new.
~Rajneesh
It is good that you have kept a positive attitude throughout this... ;/
ReplyDeleteThis is terrible! I hope that it gets better from here on!
Ugh, sounds stressful - but at least they didn't steal your sense of humor! Hope you get it all resolved soon.
ReplyDelete