I'm very upset today. We visited our neighbour in the hospital today and an unfortunate incident happened. I became irrational and now need to put myself on a time-out....
You see, Evan is very fastidious about using the antibacterial hand sanitizer upon entering and leaving the hospital. "Luckily" for us, the hospital has it mounted on their walls every 6 feet or so. We used it going in. Unluckily, a little bit got in his eye, which made him shriek in pain.
The triage receptionist came out when she heard him scream, and I asked for the nearest eye-wash station. (What the heck was I thinking?!)
She directed me to the ER down the hall, so I went over there. Aside from the room packed full of soon-to-be patients, there was no one around and no answer to the buzzer. So I did what any rational mother of a crying toddler would do: I opened the door to the emerg. (Gasp!) I was immediately asked what I was doing there. When I requested an available eye-wash station (and told them what it was for), I was told they didn't have one (what the heck?!!!), but they had saline... (Yay! Great!) ... but they couldn't do anything until I went to triage to get paperwork done and then Evan would be seen in turn.
(That's when I became irrational.)
I told them they were useless (yes, I did), and after attempting to rinse Evan's eye out in the bathroom (with tapwater, yuck, but due to urgency...), we just went on up to our neighbour's room.
(I knew what I was doing... I was taking a Shortcut.)
I approached the first nurse I saw, explained what happened, and she rushed off to get me a syringe full of saline. She told me she couldn't rinse his eye, but she gave me the supplies for me to do it. Problem solved. Simplicity at it's best. That's all I asked for.
I just need to go and calm down now. (Yeesh! That mother-hood instinct to protect her young is sure strong in me. Go figure.)
By the way, to all those other mothers out there (whether or not they get to demonstrate their protective instincts and publicly embarrass themselves and burn their bridges):
Happy Mother's Day!
.
The most sacred thing is a child's innocence;
his trust the most inviolate.
~ KN
winn's window / koreen photography
- koreen (aka: winn)
- I'm a hobbyist photographer, a school counselor, a health junkie, and a mom. But above all, I'm just a woman living my truth. My biggest happiness in life is to savour each moment while it happens. That's all. That's everything.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
The woman existed, but the mother, never. A mother is something absolutely new.
~Rajneesh
No comments:
Post a Comment
I'm tickled you dropped by! Leave a link to your email or webpage so I can respond. Thanks for chatting!