The most sacred thing is a child's innocence;
his trust the most inviolate.
~ KN

winn's window / koreen photography

My photo
I'm a hobbyist photographer, a school counselor, a health junkie, and a mom. But above all, I'm just a woman living my truth. My biggest happiness in life is to savour each moment while it happens. That's all. That's everything.

Saturday, January 16, 2010

plastic



I smiled my plastic smile

while the words falling from you struck me

heavy, bruising, cutting

their sharp truths exposing my shame

ripping through the flimsy cloak that was my only shield

breaking down the lies

I told myself

to make it okay

to make it go away

“just for now, until things get better”

I told myself


Bitter lies--for that’s what they were--

burning my mouth...

Lies become truth, break from the truth,

break if the truth is stronger that I....


Nothing’s changed

things didn’t get better

and I hear the betrayed whisper

“I didn’t make things better”

now my disgrace

pierced in this rightful punishment

ruthlessly wielded

piling around me like stones from another time

or place

(I don’t raise my hands--

I have no defense)

until I am buried under my Shame.





Copyright 2010, by Koreen W. Naugler. All rights reserved.

3 comments:

  1. OMG!!! I absolutely love it!!! I can apply that directlty to a friendship I had for about 7-8 years that went south not too long ago. WOW. that's awesome.... and I may just linkback to you soon on that one!!

    ((why can I post here, but not on the Sunday one??)) WEIRD.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is such a powerful image of self-blame.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wowza.
    Want to send hugs and lots of chocolate....

    ReplyDelete

I'm tickled you dropped by! Leave a link to your email or webpage so I can respond. Thanks for chatting!


The moment a child is born, the mother is also born. She never existed before.
The woman existed, but the mother, never. A mother is something absolutely new.
~Rajneesh