The most sacred thing is a child's innocence;
his trust the most inviolate.
~ KN

winn's window / koreen photography

My photo
I'm a hobbyist photographer, a school counselor, a health junkie, and a mom. But above all, I'm just a woman living my truth. My biggest happiness in life is to savour each moment while it happens. That's all. That's everything.

Monday, December 13, 2010

Copycat... And Other Stuff



So, I'm finding all kinds of challenging ideas in photography lately. In the realm of creative and artistic, rather than financial or quantity. Which is okay, because I'm busy enough anyway, right?

Something I saw over at Ramblings and Photos was Ashley's version of this lens trick. I call it a trick because I was all "Whoa!" and "Cool!" and "I wish I could do that!" And so I did it. Or I tried to, anyways.



And isn't it the attempt that counts? (Please be kind!)

Notice the cool way I've "stabled" (as my 4 year old says) the lens between the covers? It's all about strategy and style. But I have no idea what happened to the lower bokeh in the photo. It's kind of sad, really.



I can't remember where I saw the starburst photos or tutorial, but I got all motivated a couple of days ago and made another photography attempt.



Who knew that there was use for the higher aperture settings (or smaller aperture, if you prefer)? Turns out, it makes pretty cool effects. I'm loving the learning.



Also, talking about learning... I just read The Betrayal by Kathleen O'Neal Gear and W. Micheal Gear. Heretical or fringe, whatever... I couldn't put it down. Even if you don't agree with the ideas presented, it's worth a read... at least for the provocative factual footnotes in the back (the best part of the book).




Hope your week is full of holiday fun and relaxing cheer.


9 comments:

  1. I like the Christmas tree shot, Koreen...

    Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice! I have intentions of copy catting too :) I like the smaller aperture...it's hard with the 50mm to remember you don't have to ALWAYS shoot wide open.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ummm... the bokeh you complained about is just a reflection off the table where it picked up some texture, no?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very nicely done - I've got to try the starburst next!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the starburst idea. I've used it to varying degrees of success with sun flare, but never thought to try it on the tree. I'll have to go check that book out on Amazon and see what it's all about.

    ReplyDelete
  6. what is a bokeh? and why don't I know? fun pics ;).

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are fun! And I'm with Julie. My holiday will not be complete till I find out what a bokeh is. =>

    ReplyDelete
  8. Bokeh is the out-of-focus parts of the photo, particularly those that render the light into glowing orbs. That's my take on it anyway. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think you did a good job. I need to try these.

    ReplyDelete

I'm tickled you dropped by! Leave a link to your email or webpage so I can respond. Thanks for chatting!


The moment a child is born, the mother is also born. She never existed before.
The woman existed, but the mother, never. A mother is something absolutely new.
~Rajneesh