The most sacred thing is a child's innocence;
his trust the most inviolate.
~ KN

winn's window / koreen photography

My photo
I'm a hobbyist photographer, a school counselor, a health junkie, and a mom. But above all, I'm just a woman living my truth. My biggest happiness in life is to savour each moment while it happens. That's all. That's everything.

Thursday, February 3, 2011

The Light Says Things To Me


... and I listen.

I admit it, I have not only great respect for the light but also great communication. It says "do this" and I say "okay". Not very expansive in our conversations, but it's effective and efficient.

The light spoke to me a lot when my son got his red belt. I chose this particular position for shooting because of the backlight. It's gorgeous. I could have been shooting where the full light would hit them, but I knew to listen to the light.

Here's the sooc shots I took with their edits.

My favorite.

Respect


Letting the light guide me.

Showing respect


I didn't even want to crop it because I thought the original imperfect crop highlighted the immediacy of the moment and the perfection of the light.

In fact, I love it so much that I felt compelled to put an obnoxiously large close-up of it here. (The light didn't tell me to do this, just fyi. It has better judgement than me.)

Showing respect


Magical is what it is.


Accomplished.

Complete


I wanted to keep the softness and haziness of this photo, but increase the contrast and respect the light. It took more layers and masks than you might realize to get this subtle effect.

Courtesy and respect: code of the samurai



I didn't like any of my edits on this one, so I left it sooc.

Belts

And there you have it. The light doesn't lie.



**************************

Taken with my Canon Rebel XSi, and edited with PS Elements.




25 comments:

  1. Your edits are beautiful...simply perfect!
    And great shots....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love these shots to much.....you did a beautiful job, both SOOC and the edits! I love how these shots just BEAUTIFULLY tell a story!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your edit is perfection....I simply love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. ok i loved these before but you took great photos and made them WOW WOW WOW!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful photos! How special for your son to have such great pictures of this moment in his life!

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are such great shots and just wonderful moments captured. Your edits were wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loved your soocs to begin with and your edits are subtle and just right :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. What great shots of "a day in the life of" your family. Nice edits, too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful shots! Way to listen to the light!

    Ps. Thank you for your kind words, they made my day!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ahhh ... now I get it. I take back my comment from the other day. I never thought about the back lighting. I love that you kept your edits minimal. The bowed heads photo edit is wonderful.

    (p.s. I did it again and published my RED edit before finishing the post. I'm not liking any of my edits so far)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your edits are great! It makes the lighting seem absolutely perfect. Wonderful job!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful backlighting, indeed! Nicely done!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your edits are perfect...I love backlighting. I love this story.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love all your shots! And the story to go along with them. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great capture...really very nice snaps. I like the way you edited.

    Thanks for your comment on my blog. Keep visiting.

    Vrinda

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wonderful edits. So Awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great job, Lady!! Love the simple edits - and the backlighting!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Such great edits...love the light!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I just read this quote and thought of you.

    "His conversation with light began a long time ago, and is ongoing."

    Isn't it awesome...

    Yes, I read your post and didn't comment right away, but maybe I needed to soak it all in, or maybe I hurt my blogging arm. (I really did!)
    :)

    Your edits are wonderful. You really brought the light out.

    ReplyDelete
  20. You did a fabulous job! My favorite is definitely the one of the two kids, shot from behind. I love the red that peeks out between them.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love the edits, Koreen...bumping up the contrast on Evan and his friend really made a huge difference!

    Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  22. These are still my favorite pictures this week. So beautiful. Truly.

    ReplyDelete

I'm tickled you dropped by! Leave a link to your email or webpage so I can respond. Thanks for chatting!


The moment a child is born, the mother is also born. She never existed before.
The woman existed, but the mother, never. A mother is something absolutely new.
~Rajneesh