This is something extraordinarily spectacular: twice a year (spring and fall) we country folk get a chance to get rid of all the other stuff that the regular trash collector won't (or can't) take. Not only can we dispose of our old, used, broken-down crap, it also allows us the opportunity, which no one takes lightly, to thoroughly inspect and grab other people's crap.
Yes, folk, that was me that was stopped in front of your house looking at the broken tricycle. No, I didn't know it was broken, I was just browsing....
Memories pop into my head of years past... a Ford Fairlane type car screeching to a halt in front of our house, a mom behind the wheel revving the engine, a young boy hopping out to see if it's the item they really really want... "Mom! It's a whole roll of linoleum!" "Stop yelling and get it in the trunk!" ... before speeding off. My gape-mouthed staring from 20 feet away didn't appear to deter them at all from their road-side shopping.
Another memory, this time of me putting out a pile that threatened to topple over onto Evan any time he got close.

He was such a trooper, hauling it out for me, and at only 2 and a half years old! Okay, that wasn't so much child slave labour, as just keeping him busy.
Which reminds me: they're coming tomorrow. I better get that child moving and load up the wheelbarrow!
.

My dad was and still is a garbage picker extraordinaire. Oh, the memories! The fond and sometimes embarrassing memories...
ReplyDeleteI didn't realize you were such an incredible hick. I think I like you even more now.
That's how we were the first people I knew to have multiple tv sets... and all you had to do was replace the light tube! tsk tsk tsk...
ReplyDeleteWe also did our dump runs. But we don't talk about it. Ever.