The most sacred thing is a child's innocence;
his trust the most inviolate.
~ KN

winn's window / koreen photography

My photo
I'm a hobbyist photographer, a school counselor, a health junkie, and a mom. But above all, I'm just a woman living my truth. My biggest happiness in life is to savour each moment while it happens. That's all. That's everything.

Wednesday, May 6, 2009

My Kitchen Shortcut

I need an assistant chef. No, I'm not looking for someone to cook for me. I don't actually mind cooking, it's the prep work that kills me. I hate washing and chopping and dicing and measuring... okay, well, I don't mind measuring, but all that cleaning and prepping and cutting up of ingredients makes me not want to cook. (That's why I don't mind making waffles... little prep work. But don't get me started on the cleanup!) So, any and all who wish to apply for the position of my assistant chef, step right up!

In the meantime, I figured out a clever time saving trick. Many of the foods that I like to cook require a tomato-and-onion base, particularly the Indian and Mexican dishes. As I prefer to cook the foods I like to eat, that means a lot of chopping messy foods. Yuck.

Here's my shortcut: I dice tomatos, onions, and red bell peppers and keep it in a jar in my fridge. Then it's handy for cooking with less prep required. (I got this idea from a good friend of mine who kept his own shortcut item handy: pureed fresh ginger and garlic. Sorry to spill your secret, Primo!)


    This tomato-onion-pepper mixture is a great base for salsa (for my homemade burritos), as well as Balti Chicken or Dahl.

    Tonight I found out that if I puree this mixture, it also makes a great topping on homemade pizza for a little boy who doesn't always like to eat his veggies. And yes, he gobbled it down and tried to steal my piece!

    Here's my simple "recipe":

    Dice:
    2 large tomatos (or 5 cocktail tomatos)
    3-4 green onions (I prefer these for the taste and color, but any onion will do)
    1 red bell pepper

    To spice it up you can add cilantro or hot peppers. I don't simply because I'm trying to introduce the concept of veggies to The Boy gradually, and once he gets used to certain tastes I'll add others.

    **************************

    I also spent some time today grating 3 large blocks of cheese (because there was a sale on my favorite brand) for freezing. Ready whenever I need it!

    .

    1 comment:

    1. Ok, that is my weakness right there in that jar... Yummy!

      I love, love, love salsa. Would eat it with just about anything. Thanks for the recipe, I am going to give this one a try :)

      ps. hubby is my sue chef... I cook he cleans ;)

      ReplyDelete

    I'm tickled you dropped by! Leave a link to your email or webpage so I can respond. Thanks for chatting!


    The moment a child is born, the mother is also born. She never existed before.
    The woman existed, but the mother, never. A mother is something absolutely new.
    ~Rajneesh