To follow up from my post yesterday (which was supposed to have nothing to do with creepy things), I just have a few comments to make. After that, I don't want to think about this again, ever. But for the sake of protecting kids, I'll probably have to.
When I use flickr, I never have photos of children that are unclothed. Every image is innocent and carefully chosen so that they cannot catch the notice of anyone creepy. In addition, I tend to keep most photos private. There is basically nothing of interest for that kind of person to see.
Thursday, I had an experience that made me mad. Not just angry. Foaming at the mouth, heart racing, crying angry. I don't recommend getting that angry. At least, not unless you have a good reason.
After I uploaded my photos and posted my blog I found a couple photos of my sweet little boy on flickr marked as someone's "favorite" and added to this person's "collection". As they were photos of my son, I was curious and felt a bit of a yellow flag raising. I followed the links to this individual, who was "collecting" photos (not his) of young boys. There were dozens and dozens. Included in this collection were photos of gay males being... intimate. While not explicit, the fact that so many "stolen" photos of young boys being in the same collection raised a red flag with me. I think I heard sirens going off in my head at this point.
I immediately saved the website address, made all my children's photos private -- that is, the ones that weren't already -- which automatically severed the connection to this individual's collection. It also severed the connection to my blog. The photos didn't show up.
I blocked him from viewing my flickr account, and I sent off a major complaint to flickr about it.
Within hours I discovered that he was shut down.
I had attempted to contact the authorities who deal with inappropriate and disgusting online crap, but they are harder to track down and make a report to than finding the holy grail. So, at this point, flickr is it. And of course, once he was shut down, there was nothing for them to find anyways.
I'm drained, emotionally. I'm exhausted. I don't want to think about this, but it's not going away.
I know that this creep, and others like him, will pop up again somewhere*. They're not only creepy and vile, they're also obsessive and compulsive. They have no sense of morality regarding this issue. They have little to no remorse or willingness to comply with normal healthy boundaries. But if we keep shutting them down, then we're doing something to protect our children.
It's something worth fighting for.
*In a previous life, I trained and worked as both a therapist for abused children and as a social worker for foster families and children. Been there, done that.

Sorry you have had to deal with such creepiness.
ReplyDeleteI'm sorry that happened to you. I've been *this* close to shutting down my blog more than once for this reason, and it's never even been a direct issue for me...
ReplyDeleteThis is really worrying. I'm sorry you had to deal with this. It has worried me since I started my blog. I never go to Flicker, so have never checked on my kid's photos - yuck!
ReplyDeleteSo sorry you had to deal with this! But I'm glad to know that flickr responded and shut the guy down...probably won't stop him completely, but it's something...
ReplyDeleteThank goodness your mommy senses were tingling and you took the infinitive to dig a little deeper. You are a hero!
ReplyDeleteI am so sorry you had to deal with that. I'm glad you listened to your instinct and followed it. Thankful that flickr did the right thing too. Big HUGS!!!! From one protective momma bear to another!
ReplyDeletexoxo
Holy crap. You are a hero. What a horrible, horrible thing to discover. Brava to YOU to follow through.
ReplyDeleteMomma bear did the right thing. Hugs.
ReplyDeleteOh my goodness so scary. That makes me think twice about putting photos of my boys up there.
ReplyDeleteSomething similar happened to a friend of mine...I have sent her the link in hopes she will comment on it...
ReplyDeleteHugs,
Wendy
I currently work with those same children. I didn't realize you did in a former life! The more all of us speak up and out, the more our kids are protected. I'm sorry that this happened; and that it happens at all...
ReplyDeleteI heart you, Winn! You are my hero and I'm so glad there are people like you who are aware, savvy, articulate and yes, foaming at the mouth about this kind of injustice. (I think I need to learn how to make my pictures private. Thanks for the heads up!)
ReplyDeleteThat lioness thing is huge, isn't it?
ReplyDeleteCreep. You go, girl.
Gah, remember when this exact same thing happened to me? CREEPERS.
ReplyDeleteI'm glad you didn't close up shop, then they win.