The most sacred thing is a child's innocence;
his trust the most inviolate.
~ KN

winn's window / koreen photography

My photo
I'm a hobbyist photographer, a school counselor, a health junkie, and a mom. But above all, I'm just a woman living my truth. My biggest happiness in life is to savour each moment while it happens. That's all. That's everything.

Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Leaving the Terrible Twos Behind

I've really been wondering what to do about The Boy's tantrums. I'm been so flummoxed by them that I've recently been thinking of getting Professional Help, ie: a counselor for him to "work through his issues." But then, that gets me thinking that is a sign of being a Lazy Mummy and a little too Wacky. So I'm Puzzled and Stumped.

Come to find out this morning while perusing many many blogs of other families, which by the way is a great use of my personal study time, there are literally dozens of other families who experience what looks like The Boy's typical tantrum. So, it's not so unusual after all. And that makes me feel a little better, right?

The question then begs, "What the heck do I do about them?" My intolerance of tantrums doesn't necessarily work, and neither does falling over laughing at the ridiculousness of them, which sometimes happens. That particular intervention only feeds his feelings of being tortured alive on a time-out. Turns out, some other mommy bloggers related the very same thing. I guess I've been looking for a way to stop his tantrums altogether and get him to Listen. Now it seems that this is going to be an on-going battle until he leaves behind him the Terrifying and Theatrical Threes and enters the Fun Fours.

It looks like the only option left for me as an intervention of his tantrums is to immortalize it forever: I will have to start taking pictures and videos, as so many of the other mommy bloggers are doing. At the very least, it might help me keep my temper myself and distract me, helping me find the humor in it without laughing my ass off and pissing him off further. At this point, I'll try anything.

Here's an example of such a picture that might be gracing the pages of this blog in the future: The Boy beating on his dad at WackyMummy's sister's wedding last fall. He was a grouch the whole time (the attention was not all on him) and finally, he couldn't take it anymore. Whack!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm tickled you dropped by! Leave a link to your email or webpage so I can respond. Thanks for chatting!


The moment a child is born, the mother is also born. She never existed before.
The woman existed, but the mother, never. A mother is something absolutely new.
~Rajneesh