The most sacred thing is a child's innocence;
his trust the most inviolate.
~ KN

winn's window / koreen photography

My photo
I'm a hobbyist photographer, a school counselor, a health junkie, and a mom. But above all, I'm just a woman living my truth. My biggest happiness in life is to savour each moment while it happens. That's all. That's everything.

Saturday, June 13, 2009

Two Things

While making small talk with the front desk girl at the pool, I caught sight of Evan's finger in the vicinity of his nasal cavity--a fairly rare event. Even though he's only three years old, it still is a bit embarrassing, especially due to other peoples' reactions. Yes, it's gross, but I figure it's normal and something they have to work through and learn not to do.

So I kept my eye on him while trying to not make a big deal of things. I saw movement but the entire finger was in full view; I decided to just wait. Out of the corner of my eye, I noticed he was keeping his finger close and handy, and yet there was no real knuckle-grinding action. There was, however, a look of deep concentration on his face--not unusual in and of itself, but often indicative of holy-cow-I-missed-something and I-sure-hope-Mom-doesn't-notice. And there was a look of wonder on his face that kept me focused. (Now, keep in mind I'm having a full-on conversation with this girl, so I'm seriously multi-tasking.... well, multi-tasking for me, that is.) We finished up with Evan still heavily absorbed with the contents of his nose and began walking down to the pool. Finally, I couldn't stand it anymore.

"Evan. Do you have a boogie?" Our word for mucus.

"No."

"Then stop picking at your nose."

"Okay." He continues to pick.

"Let me see." I tilted his head back and a rock came into view. I panicked and picked at it only to lodge it further inside.

Then logic kicked in. I plugged the other side and told him to snort. Out it flew. A small but intense dialogue followed, outlining what NOT to put in the nose.

******************************************

The next day we were playing with Play-Do. (Yes, at times I'm a hands-on mom.) I again noticed preoccupation with the boogie-maker. This time, I cut to the chase and just tilted his head to find a little ball of Play-Do.
.

4 comments:

  1. LOL! I can't stop laughing at this post!

    While under my watch, my little niece shoved a bead up her nose, I had to call her mom who took her down the hospital to get it removed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Jack. I had visions of having to go to the hospital too when this happened. Lucky us we didn't!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh no! It's so funny (although I'm sure it's really not that funny to you)! We had our share of misplaced items in the nose around that age too. So I feel your pain.

    ReplyDelete
  4. lol when i read such posts i always wonder what mischief my sonny will come up with ha

    ReplyDelete

I'm tickled you dropped by! Leave a link to your email or webpage so I can respond. Thanks for chatting!


The moment a child is born, the mother is also born. She never existed before.
The woman existed, but the mother, never. A mother is something absolutely new.
~Rajneesh